Pulling a cable through a duct

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ben W, Aug 8, 2017.

?

What is the maximum length of 16mm three core SWA that can be pulled through a duct?

1. 25m

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 50m

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 75m

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 100m

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Ben W

Ben W Member

I am about to lay 100m of ducting in my garden and later on I want to pull a 16mm three core cable through. What is the maximum length of ducting that I can realistically pull the cable through?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I reckon you should be able to pull it through in one go using 10mm (1,425Kg breaking strain or 12mm (2,030Kg breaking strain) blue polypropylene rope, & you have a means of pulling it through mechanically.

Did it years ago with a landrover chock up & wrapped the rope around a a partially deflated rear wheel,worked a treat.:)
    You can hire capstan winch nowadays to do same job.

https://www.hss.com/hire/p/cable-capstan-winch-petrol

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

But,why use ducting, just dig trench for swa cable, cheaper option.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

One pulling and one pushing - synchronicity of said actions is of paramount importance if one is to slide the cable up the duct without jerkiness.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your looking at pulling about 107kg (235lbs) might be slightly more, of cable through ducting, you would need more than one peep pulling.

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Yes it would be a bit heavy, and plus where it comes off the drum could pose a prob I suppose Mr K @ 100 mtrs

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Even if you took cable off a drum & laid it out on ground to to feed into duct, you would still struggle to pull it through.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I guess as long as it rolls off the drum straight, at the duct entrance. And you can pull a two-tonne car on a rope.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

But, a car has four wheels, so easy once you get it moving.:D

10. Mr. Handyandy

Aye, but the drum is a wheel(and assisted with a helper), so no resistance there!.

11. Ben W

Ben W Member

KIAB, JP, and Mr Handyandy, many thanks for speedy and helpful advice

12. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

What's it feeding?

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

No probs Ben - have a nice evening m8..:)

Ben W likes this.
  14. Mr. Handyandy

An electric cable puller! :D

Ben W likes this.
  15. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

BT regularly pull very long lengths of 200 pair CW1308b at 25mm diameter and 120kg/100m or 100 pair armoured CW1198 and 29/44 diameter and 120/260kg/100m through their ducts. They do however use a powered capstan at the pulling end.

Unlikely you will do it manually.

Ben W and KIAB like this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.:)

Ben W likes this.
  17. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Seen the guys who cable for motorway lighting etc using a mini digger to pull swa in, basically they use the bucket to tilt the digger onto one track, wrap the draw wire around the track once, then while one chap keeps tension on the draw wire and takes up the incoming slack, the digger operator just allows the one track to turn at a suitable speed to pull the swa through the duct, quite interesting to watch tbh.

KIAB likes this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Neat way.:)

19. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

If the ducting is straight and you have some cable jacks you will p!ss it. About 16 stone....Another pair of hand and you'll be fine.

20. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

This is only a small cable, if the duct is not corrugated inside or you ensure that the rope / cable interface does not have any edges to snag joins in the duct it should be a breeze. To make the job easier, run the cable off the drum and lay it on the ground in a zig zag ready to go into the duct, lubricate the cable with washing up liquid and pull. If the ground is loose or not covered, lay out some pvc sheet to stop the dirt sticking to the washing up liquid covered cable sheath. Have someone feed in the cable as you pull to prevent twists and knots.