Pump not running when Central Heating on ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by KevPenny, Apr 28, 2011.

1. KevPenny

KevPenny New Member

Hi

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Central heating pump is not running even though the timer is set for it to come on and the thermostat is turned right up. Central heating/hot water switch is also in the correct position.

Pump is only 12months old.

Any Ideas ??

2. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Not enough info really, but I'll still have a stab at it for you :- Can you hear the click when you turn the room thermostat up/down?  If not a faulty RS is the most likely cause. Could really be a number of things but I'd say that's the favourite and your #1 check.

3. KevPenny

KevPenny New Member

Hi

I can hear it click, I am thinking it is the three way mid position valve as I have had to move it manually to get the CH on tonight.

4. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Sounds like that's your problem then (very common fault).

5. Kev, does the 3-port valve move at all - when the hot water or central heating is turned on? And when you move it manually, the boiler fires up and the pump does come on? (For the latter, it could be a faulty valve, or else it isn't getting a signal from the room 'stat.)

6. wetpants

wetpants New Member

I,ll second what the Avocado replied,the pump obviously came on otherwise you wouldnt have had any heating, all points to valve, but a butchers at the room stat was also be worth it. Cos your worth it,agghhaah. *ucking americans.