Pumps, pressure reducing valves and showers

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Shooz, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Shooz

Shooz New Member

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on what to do next ...

We have two bidets that have shower attachments rather than taps. They're currently connected to our main pump, a Salamander 3.0 bar, and the water pressure is just way too high coming out of the small shower heads - gives a way too powerful clean! ;-)

Before they were connected to the main pump, the normal water pressure produced a dribble. I anticipated needing a little pump installed for just them, but the plumber said it would be better to run it through the big pump.

Anyway, the suggestion now is to fit pressure reducing valves after the main pump and just for the bidet showers.

My question is whether this is a "quick fix" or whether a) this is the best approach or b) a little 1.5 bar pump would be the best way.

Appreciate any input/suggestions!

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

It is a quick fix, personally, would go for a separate pump down at 1 or 1.5 bar and just a low to medium flow rate - you don't need one that can push out 35 litres/minute

Shooz likes this.
  3. I'd run this past Salamander first - tell them you want to reduce the pressure to these two items, and whether a PRV set to, say, 1.5bar and located in the supply from the pump to these bidets will affect the operation of the pump in a not good way.

If they say it's ok, I think that's the route I'd take - try and avoid adding extra pumps if possible.

What happens if you just turn the 'tap' on the bidet down? Can't you adjust the flow that way? Or does the Salamander not fire up unless it has a decent flow first?

(Lawd - I hate pumps...)

If the pump does fire up cleanly with the bidet tap only opened a touch - enough for a gentle cleanse... - would a simple solution be to tweak down the isolating valves that feed the bidet? Assuming there are valves fitted? Eg - turn these isol valve down to a half flow, and then the bidet's own taps can adjust the rest.

I have a horrible feeling that such a powerful pump will be less sensitive to such gentle flows, tho', so the taps need turning on quite a way before they fire?

Shooz likes this.
  4. Shooz

Shooz New Member

Salamander have said no go on the valves (which I am pleased to hear), so a new little pump it is.

Thanks for your help

5. Cool - thanks for the feedback :)

(If you need to, these pumps sell easily on eBay - especially if you state how new it is (and still under warranty) and the genuine reason you were replacing it (too bludy powerful!)

That's if your plumber doesn't do the decent thing - it was his mistake after all...