Push fit connector on immersion overflow

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jeec, Jul 30, 2014.

1. jeec

jeec New Member

I noticed that in a house I just bought the 22mm overflow pipe from immersion back Into cold water tank in loft has been cut and re joined with a straight plastic coupler. Is this ok? will it leak?

thanks for any help

2. I presume you mean a 'proper' 22mm plastic push-fit coupler, and not a white solvented 'waste' pipe type?

Is the actual pipe copper?

If a proper push-fit was used, then it's fine.

Photo?

jeec likes this.
  3. jeec

jeec New Member

Yes its copper pipe, with a push fit plastic coupler..... sorry no photo as I'm at work.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Is it a overflow pipe or just a air vent pipe.

jeec likes this.
  5. jeec

jeec New Member

It it goes to the top of the cold water tank and is curved round at the top

6. Phil the Paver

It sound like it just a air vent pipe so doesn't actually carry any water, upper right corner pipe on this pic.

vented-water-cylinder.jpg

jeec likes this.
  7. jeec

jeec New Member

ok great. I thought it was if the water on the immersion tank rised too mu h it would feed it back into the system. Thanks for your help guys.

8. Hmmm, as you say Jeec, it's an expansion pipe, surely, there to equalise pressure but also as a safety vent should your hot cylinder start to boil...

Jeec, almost certainly it's a 'proper' plastic fitting designed for all domestic pipework. So fine. But a photo will confirm.

jeec likes this.
  9. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Phil I don't know where you got that diagram but it so far out of date not even Noah could use it for a current installation :)

plumberboy likes this.
  10. Phil the Paver

Are we assuming that the OPs plumbing is a new fit then, I didn't read it that way, and it is the exact lay out of my own house plumbing which was fitted just 12 years ago, so not quite Noahs era. :)

11. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

it should be ok, tho i normally would not recommend any plastic for a vent pipe due to the temps. Most plasitcs have a fault temp around 100 but the working temp is much lower.