Push Fit Warranty

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Pollowick, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Given that various manufacturers are offering 10, 25, and 50 year warranties on Push Fit connectors they must be confident.

Has anyone any experience of claiming under the warranty for a failed part from one of the major suppliers?

I had a failure three months back and they seem to be dragging their feet.

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I got called out to a job about 6/7 yrs ago. failed osma gold push fit under sink in kitchen.Luckily the lady was in her kitchen when it went cos they have 6 bar cold mains!.i got paid by osma to replace all fittings in the kitchen, ensuite and bathroom. they said that they knew about a bad batch.

3. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

The fact that they can't be used for gas speaks voumes for me.

diymostthings

4. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

I have a feeling that is more to do with gas regs than suitability, we have been using JG speed fit on compressed air and non flammable gases for years in the brewing industry.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Used JG Speedfit to provide outlets around my previous workshop for compressed air , totally reliable.:)

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Cant be used on gas in a house for one simple reason, it plastic, if the house catches fire it melts. you then have gas escaping into fuel a fire.

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Not wishing to be pedantic Mr Dave :p, but surely the solder would/could melt, and we have the same scenario? :eek:

Or is it the time scale as well, takes longer to fail, possibly?.

8. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

I think it's probably to do with evacuation,true the solder on a fitting would melt but you'd need more heat which would take longer to build up,hopefully by this time the building would be empty.

9. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Im of the understanding that they cant be used due to gas being at low pressure , not high enough to stop you pulling the fittings apart when under pressure, like what they are with water.

10. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Almost the entire gas networks under our feet are now plastic (MDPE) the joints are moulded so they are nothing like the pusfit scenario.