Puting up plasterboard ceiling!!!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by FagCardFreddie, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Anyone got anysuggestions for puting up 8' x 4' plasterboard sheets on ceiling???

2. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Use props or  get a mate to help, mark the joists on the walls so you know where they are. Get a decent cordless drill with a bit that fits the PB screws well...off you go ;)

3. MrGrimNasty

MrGrimNasty New Member

If I'm on my own I screw a couple of L-shaped wood blocks temporarily to the 'beams', lift one end of the p/b on/near to them, walk up the ladder/tresle with the other end so that the p/b sits in the lip created by the blocks, tools handy, check position, put in 2 or 3 screws in the unsupported end, relax, put in rest of screws at leisure, remove blocks. Repeat.

4. ...snigger...

5. But where would I find two deadmen???????

6. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

A deadman is a T-shaped brace that leans against a wall and helps support the drywall ceiling on one end. You can then proceed to fasten the ceiling panels on one side while the deadman holds the other. If you plan to do this activity by yourself, then using a deadman will result in a more efficient drywall ceiling installation.

7. Thank you for your advice G.Brown and Mr GrimNasty, not so sure about Lucy, but I'm sure she's wellmeaning!!!!!

Any suggestions regarding screw length etc. etc. (plasterboard is 12.5mm thick) and puting in noggins etc. All advice (if serious) gratefully received!!!!

Chees guys,

FCF

8. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

DOH! Freddie!

Read what I have just written! Lucy is being very helpful -  'deadmen' are braces used by plasterers to install ceilings....goggle it!

Usually 40mm pb screws will be fine. Check the head and bit as advised, many are Phillips NOT Pozi.

9. Thanks Hotdog, that explains a lot. If in doubt ask an expert.

FCF

10. Mr Freddie - you need to get used to our Lovely Looch. If you really need to find two deadmen, you only need to look at the two posts immediately above hers...

11. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Thats a bit ****** DA! GB and Mr Grim were being helpful and constructive! :eek:

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I suppose it'll all depend on what you are doing, for instance, is this a brand new ceiling? Or replacing one that's been ripped down? If new, have the walls been plastered yet?

Example, if it's replacing rip-down, use the gap above old plaster to slot first end of plasterboard into.

If it's new, and no plaster on walls, tack a batten along the wall, and use that to slot your first end in.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. Thanks Hotdog, BUT  it is highly unlikely that I would know what a 'deadman' is given the nature of my original question. Therefore, her answer was only 'very helpful' to someone who already knew the answer, would you not agree??? But I take your point lol.

Must get on now as I have a ceiling to put up!!!!

Thanks everyone, including Lucy,

FCF

14. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Lucious Lucy can be a bit supercilious at times but she was giving you a nudge in the right direction.

Don't upset her or the next nudge may be sharper and lower......

15. Blitchy? Moi?!

Non. Looch was being blitchy.

Well, not blitchy exactly. Amusing. Which pretty much amounts to a whooooosh on here...