pva and plastering

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by marcus19911, Sep 9, 2015.

1. marcus19911

marcus19911 New Member

Hi i recently removed old polystirene celing tiles from my window bay and there are a few holes i would like to know in which order i need to sort the problem before i can paint it and put a curtain tracking up .. thanks in advance ☺

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. marcus19911

marcus19911 New Member

The white patches is glue from what held the celing tiles up .ive tried sanding it down but not really working. After sealing the holes with pva is it then i use the 406 solution ? Thank you

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You'll struggle to sand it down, a scraper is the only way to remove the stuff, your photo is identical to my bay window,same colour ceiling, I even have the telegraph pole & tree as well:eek: could have been taken from my front room :), & what I had here, took ages to scrap it all off.

No need to use pva, can use the stablishing solution on the holes, let it dry then fill holes, then give the whole area a coat of stablishing soulution before painting.

I was tempted here,to scrape it back & then clad it, but stuck with it & painted it.

miss pickle likes this.
  5. marcus19911

marcus19911 New Member

Ha thats weird lol id laugh if we were neighbours ha . Will the stabilising solution fill the holes then ? Or would i have to fill them still ? Ill scrape it all off tonight i think ☺

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sorry, should have been clearer,you still need to use filler for the holes, just a coat stabilishing solution first, will stop the the surface sucking the mositure out of the filler.

Should be able to find Everbuild stabilising solution 406 for about £9.

7. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

Haha! That's freaky :D:eek: tell him to mind the bus stop:p

marcus19911 likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have that as well, barely 100' from my front door.

marcus19911 likes this.
  9. miss pickle

I know!!! It attacked you! Hope the shoulder is better now. :)

10. miss pickle

Polystyrene tiles :rolleyes::rolleyes: oh gawd weren't they awful things eh?
    No offence Marcus :eek:
    And that dreaded woodchip wallpaper :oops:

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nope!:(

12. miss pickle

Are you still off work? :( Aww that's miserable.
    Least you can play on here more now though :) nice to see a friendly expert on here during the day to help peeps like Marcus.
    I expect you still keep busy? Doing all sorts though?

marcus19911 likes this.
  13. marcus19911

marcus19911 New Member

Thank you miss pickle and yes its good knowing i can get expert advice without some one talking down to me

14. miss pickle

Kiab is one of my favourites :D very clever all rounder and lovely with it.
    He sends me flowers sometimes smiley-ashamed001.gif if I'm good and behaving myself ;)

Which isn't often o_O

I like the bay window ceiling project :) we love updates and progress pics by the way so hope you will join in :D

15. Hi Marcus.

Not up to sorting this problem yourself, then? Had to come crawling on here on bended knee and beg...

...cough...

Soz, couldn't resist... :oops:

That's just the worst kind of job - takes faaaaar longer than it should, and an age to get it looking good with filling and sanding and filling and sanding and filling and...

So I think I'd strongly suggest summat like: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Erfurt-Poly...BRY8S/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t/278-9899044-6537805

There's a few reasons why I'd personally go that way; apart from the obvious - covering up the mess that'll be there from chiselled-off adhesive, flaking paint, the odd poorly-filled hole - it'll also add a very useful amount of insulation.

I suspect there ain't any insulation up above that ceiling? So that'll be one of the coldest spots in your house, ready for mould to form (I wonder if that's why poly tiles were fitted?)

If you want to go this route, then I'd suggest there's no need for the stabiliser solution (tho' it's great stuff, and would help if you wanted to try and just paint the ceiling); just scrape/chisel off the hard bits of adhesive, don't worry about the finish it leaves behind (but don't 'dig' into the p'board - you should be able to remove it pretty much flush), dampen any deep holes and fill with mix-up filler (the powder stuff that you add water to and 'sets' is the best stuff, usually), and scrape off the worst of the loose paint.

Ie - get it all fairly flat.

Then apply the thermal layer. Overlap the front edge a few mm and wait until the adhesive dries. Then trim neatly flush, perhaps at a slight bevel. Run a thin layer of decorator's filler (stuff in a tube) over the edge to get it smooth is needed.

Jobbie hopefully jobbed.

(I wonder if their adhesive is really needed - would a strong mix of wallpaper paste do the job? Y'know - it's used for pretty thick papers and the flocked/textured stuff...?)

16. miss pickle

Oooh here's Dev :) one of my other favourites!
    You are in very capable hands marcus.
    Back to my painting I suppose :oops: lunch break over. Sausage sarnie devoured.
    Nice to meet you Marcus :) I'm of no help whatsoever you realise but nice to chat and join in :D:p

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's probably precast concrete slab like mine, which has never suffer from mould.

18. In which case use the thermal liner chust as an easy 'smoothie' :p

Speedy recovery, KIAB - how's it going? As good as it should be?

19. miss pickle

My God you lot are good :D I'm so proud to be amongst such brilliance :)

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Going to be months:(, so much I want to do, new led floodlights, GU10 wall lights for path by workshop, new bigger satellite dish, update network wiring, the list is endless.:(
    Struggled to clear out gutters on workshop at weekend & that's was only 8' up.:(