PVA use with rendering old brickwork

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by WearyOne, Jul 12, 2016.

1. WearyOne

WearyOne New Member

Hi All - Brick built terraced property circa 1910. Old plaster removed from totally internal wall and brickwork sealed with PVA diluted as recommended by manufacturer. A few questions, bearing in mind that I don't want to dryline or use other plaster options, preferring sand and cement with a skim on top.
    1. Do I need to apply more PVA (probably different dilution rate) to the wall just before the sand and cement goes on, or can it go straight onto the sealed wall as it is?
    2. Brickwork runs half inch out of vertical at the top of one wall. Is it OK to apply sand and cement to straighten this up where necessary? This isn't critical but it as it's next to a door that is plumb then the completed job would look better if this wall is straightened up.
    3. Assuming 2 above is OK to do then presumably a scratch coat first to fill out the low spots and then a final spread over the lot ready for skimming..Yes/No?
    4. Should I PVA seal final render prior to skimming? Presumably this would give me more time to play with/mess up the final skim :rolleyes:
    Any other nuggets of info that may be useful?
    Regards

2. Would not have put any pva on in the first place.

3. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

You need to scud coat it first. Then scratch coat it, and then float coat it bringing out all the hollows. Then skim. I would you moisture inhibitor in the mix.