Qualification needed to fit an unvented cyliner

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by honestlad, May 8, 2006.

1. honestlad

honestlad New Member

I'm new to this site so any advice would be much appreciated!

I am a self-builder and within the next month will be installing my central heating and hot water system. I have opted for an unvented cylinder. As I am just a capable amateur (and as it is required by law) I will be getting a Corgi registered fitter to install and commission the boiler, but I intend to fit the rest of the system myself. However, I understand that an unvented cylinder may only be fitted by a suitably qualified person. I have two questions:

a) Do you think most suitably qualified plumbers would be happy to install the cylinder and let the customer (me) fit the pipes and everything else.
    b) Alternatively, do you know whether I could go on a course myself to become qualified (I have no plumbing qualifications at present)? This would have the advantage of allowing me to carry out the annual service too. If was only for a day and cost a couple of hundred quid it would be worth it, but I can't find any such courses on the web.

Many thanks.

2. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

> a) Do you think most suitably qualified plumbers
    would be happy to install the cylinder and let the
    customer (me) fit the pipes and everything else.

fitting the pipework is the installation!

> b) Alternatively, do you know whether I could go on a
    course myself to become qualified (I have no plumbing
    qualifications at present)? This would have the
    advantage of allowing me to carry out the annual
    service too. If was only for a day and cost a couple
    of hundred quid it would be worth it, but I can't
    find any such courses on the web.

Many thanks.

there aint any such 'day courses', get a competent/qualified person to do this work.

3. honestlad

honestlad New Member

As regards a) I wondered whether I could install the hot water pipes from the airing cupboard to all the hot water taps in the house and simply ask the 'competent person' to connect them to the unvented cylinder once he had installed that. As far as I can see my part of the job doesn't require much 'competence' as it is basic pipework. I presume the expertise is needed when setting the pressure release valves etc.

4. jeffev

jeffev Member

there is a course available to gain a certificate in unvented installation it is a 1 day course you get a folder about 2 weeks before doing the course but i am not sure if you need to have any plumbing qualifications to get on it

5. r2d2

r2d2 New Member

This is your solution honestlad.

The tribune pre-plumbed unit.
    ISO 9001:2000 Quality assured assembly.
    <u>Features.</u>
    Seven day programmer and room thermostat with timed domestic hot water (DHW) control.
    Separate central heating and hot water zones
    No maintenance three speed circulating pump
    Automatic bypass valve for system efficiency
    Load balancing valve for indirect coil efficiency
    Connections for vented and unvented heating primaries

<u>Benefits</u>
    Simplified on-site installation
    Up to 70 percent quicker to install
    Factory assembeled for reliability-reduces costly call backs and delays
    Consistent electrical and plumbing layout-neat,professional finish.
    25 Year gurantee.

Your only concern will be the discharge piping and electrical connections. I would be suprised if you cannot find a certified engineer to sign the install off, as the cylinder is entirely factory assembled.

6. jeffev

jeffev Member

this cylinder is a good idea but you need to cheak with engineer about size of pipe d1/d2 first

7. r2d2

r2d2 New Member

there is a course available to gain a certificate in unvented installation it is a 1 day course .

I know off a part time inexperienced jobbing plumber who is a fireman by night who passed the one day unvented course.
    Is he competent ??.
    Who knows. :(

8. r2d2

r2d2 New Member

this cylinder is a good idea but you need to cheak with engineer about size of pipe d1/d2 first

Already fitted.
    The only concern is the piping from the tundish to final discharge point.

9. jeffev

jeffev Member

that is pipe d2 which depending on legnth and number of bends needs to be increased in diameter

10. plummit

plummit New Member

I know off a part time inexperienced jobbing plumber who is a fireman by night who passed the one day unvented course.
    Is he competent ??.
    Who knows.

The assessor thought so. He must have shown competance in identifying key components, the correct installation of the components, and must have had a good understanding of unvented systems. Why else would he have passed, unless the unvented cert. is given out to those that attend, and thus would make a mockery of the exam. His plumbing skills, are not brought into question here, just his ability to understand the correct instalations of unvented cylinders.

11. r2d2

r2d2 New Member

The assessor thought so. He must have shown competance in identifying key components, the correct installation of the components, and must have had a good understanding of unvented systems. Why else would he have passed, unless the unvented cert. is given out to those that attend, and thus would make a mockery of the exam. His plumbing skills, are not brought into question here, just his ability to understand the correct instalations of unvented cylinders.

Well he would not be fitting an unvented cylinder in my home, that is for sure.

12. plummit

plummit New Member

I totally agree with you R2D2,
    There are a good few CORGI registered plumbers that would not be allowed to undertake any pipework in my house either. This is also for sure.

13. r2d2

r2d2 New Member

I am sick of hearing of one day courses for this, that and the other regarding heating , plumbing and energy efficiency and pieces of paper being bandied about as if they mean something given out by unscrupulous bodies whose only interest is profit.

14. plummit

plummit New Member

There is no way that I can disagree with you R2d2,
    You are correct, but legislation, deems competance by written and to a small point hands on experience exams.
    In the real world we all know this is a farce, but it still continues.

15. honestlad

honestlad New Member

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated. I share r2d2's concerns, but rest assured in this case it is just my own cylinder I will be fitting! I guess it's up to me whether I take that risk! Jeffev, do you have any details of that course so that I can look into it. I'll also look up that Tribune pre-plumbed unit.

16. jeffev

jeffev Member

try your local acs center they'll probably do it what area are you in

17. r2d2

r2d2 New Member

but it still continues

A bit like Bliar. ;)

18. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

A CORGI registered guy must do the whole installation m8, read the CORGI web site FAQ.

Leave it to a 'Real' Plumber to do your installation, you are f.cking around with things you don't understand and are not qualified to do. You'll flood your house or blow the f.cking thing up!!

19. PDPS

PDPS New Member

A CORGI registered guy must do the whole installation
    m8, read the CORGI web site FAQ.

Please provide a link. I can't even find an FAQ section.

20. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

> A CORGI registered guy must do the whole installation
    m8, read the CORGI web site FAQ.

Leave it to a 'Real' Plumber to do your installation,
    you are f.cking around with things you don't
    understand and are not qualified to do. You'll flood
    your house or blow the f.cking thing up!!

:);)