Quality of fitted double glazing

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by shapingstuff, May 2, 2016.

1. shapingstuff

shapingstuff New Member

Hi,

I recently had windows fitted and while the general quality seems good, they seem to have botched the corner beading around were the central pain is fitted.

The mitre or joins are all slightly ripped and I don't see any reason why it would be like this - please see the attached photos. All corner are varying degrees of the same quality.

It seems shody to me - my question is wither this is just how they come or if the this has been ripped deliberately, perhaps to make this easier to fit? How easy is this to replace and fix and are there any consequences in the long term.

The company have ignored my complaint so far and fobbed it off.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This looks like the glazing bead.

Normally it is cut at factory (mitred), but looks as though someone has tried to scribe the cuts and the result is poor.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I would get the co to remake the glazing beads again, this is the only way to resolve.

Is it just this window or others affected?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I bet most of them are shoddy.

6. shapingstuff

shapingstuff New Member

Yeah they were cheap but I don't understand why you would do that to the windows if they are factory made - the other windows we have are almost identical and they are perfect along the bead.

Is it just a matter of pulling them of and re-fitting or have they been fitted with silicone? They don't look difficult to cut either.

7. shapingstuff

shapingstuff New Member

They are all bad - none of the corners have a straight cut they all have this weird uneven tear. Doors as well.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Was it a local or national company who did the supply and install?

You have a good case here, as the windows shouldn't be left like this.

Not sure who to contact though, since the co has ignored you so far.

Have you paid?

9. shapingstuff

shapingstuff New Member

Sadly yeah - they were keen to get me to pay and I never properly noticed till later the same day. Local company they had good reviews - I will get back in touch with them and just explain what you have said - I sent them pictures as well. They must be fitting all the windows the same and perhaps no one has bothered.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Where is our legal expert DA.

Very unlikely they will return, but I'm a cynical bast***:eek:

I reckon you have a case here.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I always thought using a local installer was best, as its in the firms interest to do a good job.

I also had a dispute with windows a couple of years back, and made the mistake of paying for it, cost me a fortune to involve a solicitor. After the experience I wouldn't use a co, and now order and specify windows myself (unless they are timber sash ones)

Learned a big lesson :oops:

If anyone gets windows make sure they have carried out work to good standard before paying out. Most companies want 35% deposit some don't

If you have a contract it should mention about the terms.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The co should also provide a 10 year guarantee, could be 5 on the glass.

Were they a FENSA installer. FENSA are more concerned with safety and regulations, so wouldn't get involved in the beading aspect.

13. Shapingstuff, is it shoddy? Yes, unquestionably. Very.

Can you get them to sort it? Possibly.

In theory it's a 'yes', no question. Or else you can get someone else to fix it and then sue the original coves - and you'll win.

One caveat (Ok, I'm trying to sound 'legal'... :oops: ) - you say they were cheap? Just how cheap?

I mean, you obviously cannot expect the same standard as a 'top'-level window. If this is the standard of all of this company's windows, and that is why they are cheap, then you are stuffed.

Question - did they come round beforehand and show you samples (like all DG companies do...)? And what were their samples like? Or, did you visit a previous customer of theirs to see their work?

It is very, very shoddy. It does look like poor 'scribing' as opposed to the more usual 'mitres'. These loose 'flaky' bits - are they very thin and flappy - can they almost be peeled away? A thought is that they are using old equipment with blunt tools, so they don't cut cleanly and crisply but leave this half-worn, thin 'flashing' behind instead.

Or perhaps there is a quality-control stage missed out - again to cut the cost. Perhaps there's a cove whose job it is to manually trim off these bits and make it neat (clutching at straws here...)

I've had windows fitted about a year ago. Local co and a very reasonable cost - amongst the cheapest. The finish is simply superb - all the joins and mitres are simply spot-on.

I cannot think of any valid reason why your work is so shoddy.

So, you need a letter penned with the help of the CA - either visit them in person, or go on line.

Written correctly, you will give these coves oooh, 2 weeks to sort it. If they don't, you will pay someone else to do so instead and then sue them for the full cost. And you will win.

(Just make sure the co ain't going out of business first...)

If these are the removable beads for the glazing (it looks as tho' they are), then you don't really want white sealant over the corners. But it would be a cheap solution should you chust want to go this way.

Oh, and also report them to Fensa or whoever they are with...

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If the co have a showroom, get a friend to visit and take pictures of windows, I'm sure that the one on show won't be like those fitted.

This can all be used as evidence, when constructing your letter.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Absolute rubbish(those joints).

Not only that, but dangerous. Cut your finger in half if you catch that wrong.

I have never seen corners scribed like that. They should definitely be mitred 45º.

I'd go all the way with this. All new beads, mitred. No arguments.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

New windows.:)

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Its a weird way of cutting the beads for sure and by "attempting" to scribe the corners, they've actually made more work for themselves - and a terrible finish to boot

The cuts are all out, very ragged and rough edges. Cut by hand I guess, surely a machine wouldn't cut that rough, unless a very blunt blade, as mentioned above

Must be easier to just cut mitres, as per usual....surely
    Cheap windows or not, explain that you are generally happy with the windows and fitting (are you) ? But you would like the beads changed as the finish is unacceptable

What is the fitting and finish like by the way, trims, silicone, all nice and neat and tidy ?

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Silicone & trims can hide many horrors.o_O