Question using Screwfix TurboGold Double Countersunk Screws

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by spike47, Jan 22, 2015.

1. spike47

spike47 Member

Hi to all

I have a bit of a query regarding the use of self drilling wood screws , as ie: Screwfix TurboGold Double Countersunk Screws ,
    the joiner doing my stud walls in a new build is using the full thread Screws with no shank to screw 70*50 timber together ,
    now my question is how can the timber be pulled together if there is still thread in both of the joints ,
    I would of thought that the timber to be screwed on would need a screw with a plain shank ( attached pic )
    at least longer that the depth of the timber to be fixed ,
    otherwise it will not be able to pull into each if there is a thread of the screw in both joints ! .

Attached Files:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If the two pieces of timber are tight to each other before the screw is screwed in, I don't see the problem.

3. spike47

spike47 Member

Hi Thanks for your reply .

How are you going to hold them together "Tight" if you are doing a internal stud wall you can only push them together then screw them in ! .

spike

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Could be , your joiner is drilling a pilot hole through the first piece of timber, thus allowing the timber to be pulled together. If you think he's doing it wrong, then feel free to tell him so. I'm sure he'll appreciate your valuable input. ;);)

5. spike47

spike47 Member

Hi
    Thanks for your your reply , no he is not drilling a clearing hole ! or any other pre screwing hole , he is just holding the parts of the stud wall he is building and driving in the screws has mentioned in my firt post , I am glad though that you understand my question by saying , " is he drilling a pilot hole through the FIRST piece of timber " .

cheers
    and thanks again for taking your time to give me some posts on this .

spike

6. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

If this was an engineering job in metal,then I would say: clearance hole then screw engaging with a tapped thread, but trust me, I've never had a problem with these type of woodscrews. It does work specially if they're driven in with an impact driver.

7. spike47

spike47 Member

Hi thanks for your reply , but it has not answered my question realy , if the thread of the screw stays in both joints how can it pull both joints together tight , it may look like the screw has gone in and recesed into the first piece of timber but it is not being able to properly pull them together , it can't because the same thread is held in both joints ! , the only way to achieve that is if the screw goes out of the first timber and the remaining lengh is the shank , then it would pull the joint together .

spike47

8. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Like the others who have replied Iv'e never had a problem with this method. As long as the joints are nice and square the frame will be solid. Mind you If its not specified I would have probably used a nail gun.

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Spike, I think you're looking for problems where they don't exist ! :rolleyes:

10. spike47

spike47 Member

Hi thanks for your reply .

No , I am not suggesting there will be a problem and the stud wall will fall apart , it was just a answere to my query I really wanted , I am not a joiner ( a Sparky ) I am not saying that it is not ok to do , I just wanted a physics answere to my query thats all , just take it that it was a general query on the physics side of the query , forget about it being in my own build , when I see something that I dont understand I ask about it , no I am not going to pull the joiner up on it , It was just a query on something that I could not understand in a Physics sense and I needed a answer .

spike

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

In an ideal situation, with unlimited time and money, you would pre-drill a clearance hole. In reality, on a budget and in a rush if you push hard enough and keep driving it will pull together, if it doesn't quite go the first time you can back off and go again. It's called knowing your job.

malkie129 likes this.