'Quick' drying satin?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by devil's advocate, Aug 7, 2008.

1. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Hello.

I'm a bit of a convert to water-based satin paint (the stuff for woodwork) mainly 'cos of the way it holds its brilliant white colour, doesn't smell, can be cleaned up with water, dries quickly, is a doddle to use...

However, the stuff I've been using - Wickes own-brand 'Master' range - does have a problem; it remains 'tacky' for a long, long time after drying. Anything you place on a painted surface basically sticks to it - plant pots, candlesticks, HiFi speakers..., even weeks after the paint has 'dried'. It doesn't feel tacky to the touch, but anything left in contact with it for a short while will stick to it - quite dramatically (when I moved my speakers, its little feet literally pulled out of the chipboard cabinet and stayed behind on the shelf :().

The only thing that doesn't stick is the little felt pads you get to protect furniture.

Is this a recognised problem with these kinds of paint, or will I have better results with Dulux, etc?

Which one is the 'best'?

Ta much.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have you stirred it enough? Used this Wickes paint on my own doors, you may be putting it on too thick and what's happening is the top is skinning over very quickly leaving the paint underneath soft, I find 2 thin coats are better than one thickish one.

3. Goldenduck

Goldenduck New Member

Got the same problem with a coffee table I painted in B&Q Quick Drying eggshell. It goes 'tacky' with anything you put on it (remote controls etc). It's been weeks since it was painted!

4. devil's advocate

Hi Astra.

I'm pretty sure I'm applying it correctly - I always apply 2-3 thin coats (with at least a day between them) rather than a 'thicky'. Also well stirred.

It's great stuff - apart from this 'problem'. Really weird.

As Goldenduck says, if you place anything hard on it - even a remote control - you can feel it's 'caught' a bit when you next lift it! Place something heavy on it at your peril!

Other than that, I find the Wickes stuff really nice to use.

Is it worth me trying 'better' brands?

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Another brand I use is Brewers own brand, Albany Acrylic Eggshell, I have had great results with this paint and it dry's beautifully with a well good soft sheen.

6. devil's advocate

Cheers, Astra. I'm going there soon in any case for some green masonry paint...

7. Goldenduck

Goldenduck New Member

Checked the paint pot that I used for the coffee table. It WAS satin and not Eggshell. My mistake. Wonder if it's a satin thing?

8. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

It may interest you to know that ALL own label paints sold through the DIY sheds and merchants are made by Sigma Kalon - Huddersfield Road, Birstall, Batley, West Yorkshire, WF17 9XA, UK.

They are the biggest paint manufacturer in Europe and are part of the French TOTAL group of companies.

Because every shed/merchant has to buy their own label paint from the same source they are all basically made to the same or very similar formulations.

Sigma Kalon is very secretive about it's UK customer base - Joe public and the P&D trade have very strong preferences about paint, they would feel conned if they knew the same product is sold under a dozen or so brands at widely differing prices.

Just though you might like to know ;)

9. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

10. devil's advocate

Interesting indeed, HOTDAWG.

What would be even more interesting is if the same manufacturer supplied a 'known' quality brand?

11. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

They do: Leyland, Johnstones, SPL, Primalex are all made by them.

Their biggest customer in the UK is B&Q who have nearly 60% of the entire UK paint market.

12. devil's advocate

Hmm, so pretty good stuff then!

13. devil's advocate

Or do they produce different 'grades' of paint for different 'manufacturers'?

14. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

I always use Dulux quick drying satin. Never had any probs whatsoever with it. I would'nt use Wickes if they paid me

15. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

16. devil's advocate

Ok BB and HOTDAWG. I'll try Dulux.

I have to say that, apart from this tacky problem, the Wickes' paint is lovely to use and gives a very nice finish.

(But, I've just lifted a heavy book from my window cill - painted many, many months ago, and baked by sunlight ever since - which had been there since last night. RRRRRRIPPPP! Ok, it' didn't leave anything behind, but it made a sound like leg wax being removed (er, I'm guessing...:()

It also has black marks which came off newspapers and mags being left there for a few hours. Really, really weird. The paint is absolutely dry - no question.)

17. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

18. MikeMaMan

MikeMaMan New Member

Hey guys. And news on this tacky situation? I got same problem now. Got primed with bnq colours primers and undercoat. And then dulux quick dry satinwood. Doesn't dry. Been waiting for two days.

19. normabram

normabram Member

Hi folks, some advice please. I'm trying to locate some SOLVENT based Satin Finish Antique White for interior woodwork, including doors. I recently purchased £70 worth of buy and queue's own brand colours quick drying (water based) satin. It is a pig to apply and starts to skin after only a few seconds, so it does not brush out well. Although skirtings, architraves and such is achievable, molded panelled doors will be virtually impossible.

Many thanks in advance, normabram

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Sikkens Satura Bl..use pukka.