Quick question re imperial pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Olimain, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Olimain

Olimain Member

I'm sure it's been asked a hundred times before but I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere.

Can I use a normal 15mm hep or speedfit fitting on an old 1/2" imperial copper pipe?

I have a bag of these already and am moving a radiator to another wall so want to go from the existing 1/2" flow & return under the floor in plastic to the new position then come up through the floor with 15mm copper tails

2. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

I wouldn't risk it, it may seem fine initially but with imperial pipe being slightly smaller there's always the risk it pops off. You can get an imperial coupler - Speedfit NC471

Olimain and KIAB like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Only just beat me...:)

5. Olimain

Olimain Member

Thanks - didn't know they did those, will pick a couple up. TheMorg I'm sure the imperial pipe is slightly larger not smaller hence thought it may be ok?

6. Olimain

Olimain Member

Also - obviously being old pipe the copper is dull though not dented or scratched, can I just give it a wipe and pop one of these NC471s on or does it have to be brought up to a shine?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

You're right, I'm confusing it with 3/4" which is smaller than 22mm. For the sake of £5 I would still err on the side of caution and use a 1/2" - 15mm, unless it was getting late on a Friday afternoon of course.

9. Olimain

Olimain Member

Not as straightforward though ;) I assume the push fit can go straight on the dull copper? Can't find anything in the literature that says otherwise

10. Olimain

Olimain Member

Is there a sure fire way of telling if what I have is imperial or copper? They look so similar. Here's a photo - left is a piece I cut off a new length of 15mm and right is a small offcut I found under the floorboards:

image1.JPG

11. Olimain

Olimain Member

And another

IMG_2640.JPG

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Metric pipe came in around 1972,hardly any difference between 15mm & 1/2", it's 22mm & 3/4" that is only the real problem.
    15mm, 1/2" is roughly the same, just a little tight to put fittings on, that why use use imperial to metric adapator, gives some room for the solder to flow.

[​IMG]

13. Olimain

Olimain Member

Thanks for this. My calipers aren't digital so would be too much help so I'll slip a fitting over and see if one is noticeably tighter than the other!

Or maybe I should just rule out any doubt and use a 15mm compression fitting on the potentially imperial side to a stub of 15mm and come off that in the plastic?

14. Olimain

Olimain Member

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

15mm tube size has a 0.7mm wall thickness.

16. The wall thickness in that photo looks deceptive - it looks as tho' it's cut on a bevel for a start.

Oli, if you have calipers, then chust set them on the largest tube and then see how much gap there is when tried on the narrower one - according to KIAB's chart above, there should be around 0.8mm difference if one is imperial.

That should be pretty obvious - the pipe should rattle betwixt the caliper legs...

Yes, you could always go the compression route, but I'd personally rather have soldered under my floorboards. Having said that, a compression joint carried out with a good smear of Fernox Hawk on the olive and threads and not over-tightened should be pretty much 100% reliable.

If a half-inch pipe is really 15.875 O/D I'd have thought a Yorkie would struggle to be fitted - it would need a very firm tapping on, and you wouldn't be able to easily pull it orf afterwards?

17. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I have just ripped out the last 3/4" from my house - except a 2.5m drop from loft to hot tank (and that will be done soon). A friend with an old cottage which has a large amount of 3/4" has asked me to save the long lengths and compression fittings for him - just in case.

18. Olimain

Olimain Member

Thanks. I've popped both in a fitting and can't see any difference - if anything the one I know is 15mm is a slightly tighter fit. Even if the other one was imperial as it's slightly larger I can't see what problem there could be using a 15mm speedfit fitting on it whereas if I were to use the 1/2" to 15mm and it turns out it actually is metric it will be a looser fit and potentially leak

19. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I have just measured some 1/2" and it is actually 15.2 to 15.3 mm quite a bit different from the 15.875 in the table. 0.3mm can be taken up but if a fitting was big enough to take 15.875 pipe then capillary action would not work to allow solder to flow.

The same table put 3/4" at 22.335mm - but I have always found it looser that 22mm so it cannot be that size. The tube here measures 21.3mm which as known will fit into a solder joint but will not solder satisfactorily.

20. Olimain

Olimain Member

Well I'm glad it's not that stupid a question - definitely doesn't seem that straightforward!

Would we all agree that whatever the exact measurements, 1/2" copper has a bigger outer diameter than 15mm copper and therefore if I can get a 15mm Speedfit on it then it should be fine? Seems a bit of a risk to use the NC471 on what could actually be 15mm and therefore cause a leak.