Quiet bathroom extractor?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by koolpc, Sep 27, 2016.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Is it possible to get a quiet but efficient bathroom extractor fan?

Having just moved in to this property and even though the extractor is new, it is extremely loud!

I think the one fitted is an inline one.

2. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

I was quite pleasantly surprised by the Manrose MF100 from our hosts, the only downside is that you need to find a separate fitting kit. I don't rate the smaller inline Manrose ones as I've had to take several of them back to SF due to excessive vibration (one of them sounded like a petrol generator!).

I've just finished installing a Vents VKO 150mm inline fan for a customer in a small 2mx2m bathroom - whilst the fan itself is quiet, it's rated at 365m3/h and the noise of the air being sucked out of the room is a bit louder than I would personally like.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

These inline fans have a base which you then screw to a joist or piece of batten
    Any noise and vibration produced by the fan is then amplified and transmitted across the house by the timbers

Simple fix is to sandwich between the base and the timber with something soft to soak up the noise - think carpet, underlay, foam, rubber, etc

Shower pumps usually have rubber feet to alleviate this same problem but again, standing them on a piece of carpet offcut will deaden noise even further

Give it a try

4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As above, I use 20mm rubber grommets, as I have a glut usually.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Why's that Rulland ????

Never use them on back boxes :p

Only messing .....

Rulland likes this.
  6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Lol, I always seem to find the little blighters strewn everywhere in the van:confused:

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

They are a bit like wire coat hangers. You can never find one when you need one. But, leave two together in a wardrobe and a week later you have ten!

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Very true Bazza, I quite often find myself working on new builds, and inevitably when the suspended ceiling chaps come in you'll find this shady looking security installer scuttling around locating offcuts of grid suspension wire.

Tbh I've got more than enough now:p I'm thinking of slipping all my runaway grommets onto a length for storage:cool:

9. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Noticed in Edmundson's yesterday, something advertised as a silent fan.
    Didn't note the manufacturer though, sorry.

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Will have to search around then

11. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I actually went to the trouble of mounting an in-line fan on 4 springs - bounced about a bit, but boy it was dead quiet!

diymostthings

12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

13. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

I bought a XPELAIR CT4S. So quiet on normal speed i actually started fault finding assuming it had no power. Even at full speed barley noticeable

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

cheers