Radial Circuit Design - Advice Please

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by juniordr, Oct 23, 2006.

1. juniordr

juniordr New Member

Hi. I’m installing a new radial circuit to my utility room and need some advice from the experts, please. I will run a 6 mm T&E in surface trunking from the CU, to feed 3 double sockets in the utility room, then terminating at a fourth double socket (MK masterseal) on the outside of the house. The circuit (total length about 14 m) will be protected by a 32A or 40A mcb.

The circuit will supply a washing machine (2 kW), tumble drier (3 kW), iron (2 kW) and garden shredder (2 kW). The chance of all appliances being on at the same time is slim, but not impossible, so I want to design the circuit for near maximum load. Does this sound ok? Are the terminals on the MK sockets large enough to accommodate two 6 mm cables?

Thanks for any advice.

2. johnboy37

johnboy37 New Member

4.00 mm will be plenty big enough , make sure it has rcd protection.

3. sparkybird

sparkybird New Member

Just be aware that you can't use a 40A mcb to protect 4mm cable, you'll have to go with a 32A.
    SB

4. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Or.......................

Just for future expansion like.........

Run in 6mm and terminate in to a 4 way plastic Did Brd, so you now have a Sub-main which you can fuse a 40A and then have plenty left over for future Garden projects etc etc! ;)

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

If you do run it in 6mm to double sockets, make sure the sockets can take 2 x 6mm in the terminals or your not gonna get a good, solid termination.

Also part p comes into affect or maybe your a member of COR.

6. juniordr

juniordr New Member

Thanks for the replies - great advice. I've found the technical sheet for the MK sockets and it looks like the terminals can accept 2 x 6mm, so should be ok there...
    Cheers