Radiator feed for small underfloor circuit

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Hollowa7, May 3, 2017.

1. Hollowa7

Hollowa7 New Member

Hi

As stated I have a 10mm plastic feed in my small offshoot bathroom and was thinking about instead of putting a rad in there running 10mm barrier pipe under the floor and screeding it in.

Will this be viable temperature wise running off a normal radiator loop?
    Will the pipe need covering (I was going to duct tape it)

TIA

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

No you have to do it properly. Underfloor runs at a lower temperature among st other reasons

3. Hollowa7

Hollowa7 New Member

Thanks Nigel. Any one else have a view on this. Few heating engineers I've spoken to don't see it as a problem.

4. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

No not a good idea.

5. Hollowa7

Hollowa7 New Member

Ok thanks lads, will give this a miss then appreciate the advice

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Not a good idea at all as UFH needs its own manifold and pump system to control it. As has been said it also runs at a lower temperature than regular CH. All you will achieve is a hot floor you cant control the temperature of

7. Hollowa7

Hollowa7 New Member

Hi Dave

I know a UFH system has its own manifold and pump system and a hot floor which I didn't need to control was what I was going for.

What are the "other reasons" this is a no no as stated by nige

Thanks

8. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Hi

I've wanted to try this for a long time

So how about I assist you and you can let me know the results?

If it cracks your tiles don't blame me though

Do you have a bath in there? Or an area you can fit a small manifold?

A.Take the flow to a Towel rail, then the return from Towel rail use as the flow for your UF, this way you can trickle it through and it will lose some heat before it goes in floor, do your loop then back to the system as normal, you can use the Towel rail valves to balance

B. If you have a bath or cupboard, run a flow to under the bath, into a blending valve and out the mixed, do your loop then take the end into the cold side of the blend valve, just before the cold side cut in a T and return that back to the system, you can then regulate the flow temp thermostatically, also fit a gate valve on the return to system to balance, fit a towel still on separate circuit for fail safe reasons

No need to tape over the pipe it's screed safe,

Only use porcelain floor tiles,

If this doesn't work, please don't blame me

9. Hollowa7

Hollowa7 New Member

10mm feeds are already in mate so A would be the only option if it is viable?
    I am not breaking into plaster all over again. There is a bath in there at the moment yes with no panel so potential to fit something in behind that. I am putting laminate down in there so no problem with cracking tiles.

Is over heating really a problem, the hotter the better for me really? surely it can't be hot enough to scald your feet.

As far as running it through a towel rad to cool it a little first what are peoples view with this, is the pressure enough to push it through both? I could see this being a problem as all radiators are on separate loops.

10. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

I'd run both circuits from under the bath, this way if it doesn't work you can turn it off

Laminate in a bathroom?

It's more the case of it getting so hot it expands the tiles or laminate to breaking point

11. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Is overheating a problem???!!!! Wait till ur mrs has to stand on a very hot floor!!!!!!! Too hot too stand on