Radiator Problems!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by aljenks, Sep 28, 2005.

1. aljenks

aljenks New Member

Hi,
    I have recently moved into a new house and I can't get the radiators downstairs to heat up. The upstairs rads work fine but nothing downstairs and the flow and return pipes are also cold. When I tried to bleed the rads cold water trickled out straight away, it is a vented system with the cylinder upstairs and tank in attic and boiler in the kitchen. Could it be an air lock in the pipework? or is there some sort of diverter valve stopping the hot water being pumped downstairs and if so does anyone konw how to solve this. Any help would be much appreciated as it is starting to get very cold downstairs in the evenings!!!

2. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

it could be the pump, heat can go throu the upstairs rads by gravity, so check that first, if the pump is running turn off all upstairs rads and if possible the cylinder this will force the heat down, when all rads are working turn upstairs back on

3. aljenks

aljenks New Member

Hi, thanks for the advise. Just when quick question when you say turn off the cylinder do you the stop tank on the cold water feed pipe?

4. aljenks

aljenks New Member

Sorry in my last reply it should have read stop TAP not tank on the cold water feed.