Radiator Removal

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Danny1839, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Danny1839

Danny1839 New Member

Hi guys!

Any help on this matter will be muchly appreciated.

I need to remove a radiator in my living room, but I want to be able to replace it at some point down the line as the house is rented (landlords permission already granted).

Once the radiator is removed, I will be placing an item of furniture in its place which has a HOLLOW back. Meaning that I can leave the radiator pipes, with the valves attached, in place, as there is space for them to be there and they will be protected by said item of furniture.

I have a combi boiler and a pipe entering on either side of the radiator. One of the valves (RHS of radiator) is adjustable and numbered 1 to 5 (unsure if this is a Thermostatic Valve).

I'm fairly confident with how to remove/replace the radiator but I need to know if I need to drain down the entire heating system, EVEN THOUGH I am leaving the pipes and valves in place?

Thanks!

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

No need to drain down. Turn off both valves fully clockwise, then drain radiator. Bear in mind that occasionally rad valves weep so be prepared for that. Also, TRV's can open if the temperature in the room drops to about 7 degrees. You can prevent that by taking off the trv head and using a decorators cap, which simply keeps the valve fully shut.

Be careful if you have carpets as you usually get a lot of black crud coming out when draining the rad.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wise to fit a blanking cap on the trv & lock shield, especially you have little sprogs who like to meddle.:rolleyes:

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And lay down a tarpalin or thick plastic sheet,as that black crud can stain the carpet.

6. Danny1839

Danny1839 New Member

Superb, thank you all.

So, just to confirm...

- Close off lockshield valve and TRV
    - Drain radiator
    - Fit blanking caps on both valves

And following these steps, I won't have to do anything else with regards to draining the heating system Etc Etc?

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

You’re on the right track yep !

Would just add that after shutting off both valves, open up bleed valve as that speeds up drain down

Plastic sheet as above and old cloths to catch any spills. I keep a couple of old 9” roller trays for this purpose as they butt up tight to skirting board and fit under valves and catch majority of water. Drain roller trays into a bucket to empty as walking any distance with a roller tray swishing around with murky black water doesn’t usually end well :eek:

No need to fully drain down and / or touch any other section of heating system

This is assuming that both rad valves actually work and shut off water. As with anything mechanical, they can and do fail in which case more work is needed to replace them but, let’s assume this won’t be an issue :)

8. Danny1839

Danny1839 New Member

Perfect!

Yes, I've done some research with regards to removing the radiator, just didn't want to go through the hassle of draining down the system without needing to.

Top tip with the roller trays and the links to the blanking nuts.

Hopefully it will be a problem free experience. I'll post back if I encounter any issues. Thank you all again, you have told me exactly what I wanted to hear.

Much appreciated!

CGN likes this.
  9. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Not quite:

- Close off lockshield valve
    - Remove TRV and fit decorating cap
    - Drain radiator
    - Fit blanking caps on both valves

The reason you remove te TRV is that if the room becomes cold and te TRV open, you could get a build up of pressure behind the blanking cap and possibly a leak as you will not have tested it for water tightness. Normally, the cap can take the pressure, but this is to make doubly sure.

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

When rad has drained and before you take off wall, re-tighten the bleed screw, then with a helper, lift off the wall and carefully flip upside down. That way, you won't get the last bits of black crud dripping out on the carpet as you carry it through the house :)

11. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Confirm they have actually closed off the flow of water by opening the radiator air vent.

If the 2 valves are closed,the initial squirt of water from the air vent will dwindle and stop.

stop is what your looking for.

12. One further wee tip - when you close off the lockshield valve (the one that isn't the TRV), then note down exactly how many turns and part-turns it took to shut off. Write that down on a piece of paper and attach it to the valve.

When you reinstate the rad, open that valve up the exact same amount.

(Also note the colour of the water in the rad - if it's noticeably brown or if there's black sludge when you finally tip over the rad to drain the last out of it, you may wish to let your LL know as this might cause longer-terms problems. Is the a magnetic filter fitted to the 22mm pipe going back to the boiler?)

Pollowick likes this.
  13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I write it INSIDE the cover that goes over the lockshield - maybe with a location. That way it is always where it should be.

KIAB likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek: Good idea.:)