Radiator Temperatures

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by OccassionalDIY, Nov 24, 2015.

1. OccassionalDIY

OccassionalDIY New Member

Hi All,

Now that its got to the time of year that we all rely on our heating i've recently discovered that my central heating isn't working as it should.

The house has only 4 radiators 1 downstairs and 3 upstairs. Yet none of them really get piping hot.
    Each radiator seems to have its own problem so i'm at a loss at what it could be.

In bed 1 the radiator is hot at one end with a gradual decrease in temperature towards the flow end, The bath room rad is stone cold no heat at all although it used to kick out heat. Bed 2 is probably the warmest of them all with the radiator down stairs being luke warm.

What could be the problem ???

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Assuming everything works ok like pumps, diverter valves etc have you tried bleeding the radiators ?
    Has the thermostat been turned to a lower setting?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Yes first thing is to bleed them. Then maybe check all valves are open

4. OccassionalDIY

Yeah i've been round and bleed all the radiators and still have the problem.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have you bled the boiler as I had an air lock in mine following a drain down of the system.

6. OccassionalDIY

how do i bleed the boiler ?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Mine is an very old floor standing Potterton Kingfisher (1981) boiler and the bleed valve was at the back near the top.

8. OccassionalDIY

Don't think its the boiler. Just seen the pressure guage and its definately dropped nearly 1/2 bar so think i must a leak somewhere

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Pressure drop to be a very common problem with a combi, plenty of posts on here re the same.

10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Once you bleed the rads you should top up the boiler.

11. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

When was the last time the system had any inhibitor?? Has it been flushed at all?? How old are the rads?? Keep the pressure low anything over 1 bar cold is too much aim for 1 bar
    When was the boiler last serviced and was the expansion vessel pressure checked??
    Could be worth getting an heating engineer to take a look at the full system and give it all a service not just a quick boiler service

12. OccassionalDIY

The system had a flush about 1 week ago when decorating and inhibitor was added when re filled. Have a engineer coming out in the next 2 weeks as an annual service. Just wondered if theres anything i can do in the mean time ?

13. DNR Plumbing

Try balancing the system turn off the lockshields then open about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn
    Remove any TRV heads and work the pins then replace the heads
    Bleed the system and check pressure if applicable
    Check room thermostat is clicking and that programmer is on for heating
    Check any valves 2 or 3 port are Woking by moving the lever on them and watch it returns fully on its own

Watch plumber parts new vid on YouTube he goes through most of this

14. OccassionalDIY

thanks alot

15. sgamar

sgamar New Member

I've the same problem sorry

16. DNR Plumbing

Try the same advice if that doesn't work please provide full details of your system and faults and I will try advise