Radiator valve position

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by powerdesal, Jan 29, 2015.

1. powerdesal

powerdesal New Member

I know for a gravity circuit ( ie heat leak radiator ) that the hot inlet is top with cool outlet being bottom opposite end.

On a pumped circuit does it matter if the hot goes in at the bottom with cool out at the top opposite end ?
    Similarly, does it matter if the TRV is on the hot feed or on the cool outlet.

My preference is TRV on hot feed in at the bottom with lockshield on the cool outlet at top opposite end. Is my preference acceptable ?

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

The most common way is for both Valves to be on the bottom of the rad.
    There is a school of thought that by putting the TRV on the top and the lockshield on the bottom that they are more efficient. We used to fit them that way for the old EAGA contract. But that was mostly for the elderly so it was also easier for them to alter the TRV without bending down.
    I have never seen the reverse done so cant comment if your idea would work or not.
    Provided your TRV's are reverse flow, which most are nowadays it makes no difference if they go on the flow or return.