Radiator Valve Replacement

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by OccassionalDIY, Nov 3, 2015.

1. OccassionalDIY

OccassionalDIY New Member

Hi All,

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to plumbing so some advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've just moved into a new property and noticed that all the radiators have been fitted with lockshields at both ends, which i have been lead to believe used to be the norm before building regs changed. I would leave these in situ however the valves have seized up and i believe they need altering. So i was going to replace one side with some TRV's.

Here lies the problem having bought the TRV's and trying to replace i notice that the fit of the TRV on the pipe is very loose. Have i bought the wrong size TRV ? I thought that it was a standard size for all.

The TRV's that i tried to fit are 15mm.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You might have 10mm Microbore' piping.

Got a photo.

3. OccassionalDIY

That could explain it. As when i removed the old lock shield there was ptfe tape around the olive. I'm guessing to give a tight seal on an oversized compression gland

I'll upload a photo later this evening

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. You will need to get a 10mm TVR Screwfix have some, the PTFE was used to make the water tight seal. Remove the old PTFE and apply it again with new PTFE then tighten up. 10mm is not that uncommon. Just buy one to try an see if it has a good fit you can all ways return it.

6. OccassionalDIY

Being a novice i've never heard of microbore before is this likely to be an issue ?

7. ThatDudeNick

ThatDudeNick Member

No issue just simply a smaller size pipe that's it. All my radiators are microbore.

8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

I dont want to sound pedantic but would you not be better served by calling in a pro, who will not only get you the correct sized valves but also fit them to the correct radiators and ensure that the drain off are correct and all working. He will also add an inhibitor when refilling, ballance the system correctly and should guarentee his work for a year thereby giving you piece of mind that you have a leak free well ballanced system. If he's realy good he will also clean out the F&E tank if you have one to prevent the possibility of a blocked cold feed (dependant upon system type).

If thats not an option you need to establish the size of pipes you have and order the correct valves, however for some reason its becoming harder to find 8mm TRV's so the easy way is to get 15mm valves and solder on long barrel 15mm to 8mm reducers.

9. OccassionalDIY

I've already called a few pros and getting quotes of around £250 to change 3 valves which I don't think is a reasonable price. If you can tell from the photo below i'm all ears.

Attached Files:

10. I wonder if that is half-inch pipe and not 15mm? They are close in size, but are not ideally compatible - I don't think.

I think you can get over-sized olives to fit in your existing fittings and that should do the trick.

Some peeps just try turning the nuts real tight so's the 15mm olive gets crushed down enough to fit, but really that's asking for trouble.

It doesn't look like microbore at all.

11. Just how loose is the fitting on this pipe?

Remove an olive from a TRV valve and slip it on to the pipe. Is it about a mm or a little more clearance? That would suggest the pipe is half-inch.

Any doubt, post a photo.

Whilst you are buying 1/2" olives, get a tub of Fernox Hawk White Jointing Compound too. A smear of that on the pipe, slip on t'tolive, another smear over the olive and finally a smear on the nut thread.

Job's a jobbie.

tore81 likes this.
  12. OccassionalDIY

I think it is a 1/2" when i put the 15mm olive over it went on a little easy.

Looking through the web i can't seem to find either 1/2" olives or trv's

Any suggestions on places to look ?

13. :rolleyes: EBay...

Anyways, what does a 'little easy' mean? Did it drop right on and can be rattled slightly?

14. OccassionalDIY

Yes when i say easy it wasn't a tight fit and slipped over

15. Dave does Gas

If you think £250 for all that work is unreasonable then please dont ever hire a solicitor. I dont know where abouts in the country you are but where I am thats a decent quote and you would have has all your valves changed.
    You would also have the peace of mind of no leaks which happen all to often on a DIY job.
    Wish you luck with the task.

16. A fair price for having all the valves in the house replaced, but it's still £250 that the OP reckons he can save with a bit of DIYing.

And it's a nice containable job to start off his DIY plumbing career. He clearly understands what he has to do, although his current fittings knowledge seems to be limited.

It's all about hands-on learning.

It'll ultimately be a very rewarding (more so that chust the £250) and satisfying task too. His knowledge and experience will have soared.

And as long as it doesn't leak, all will be good....

(Occ DIY, have you considered that you should add inhibitor to your system when you finally refill it?

And don't fit TRVs in the room with the wall thermostat.

And if you've also replaced the lockshields on these rads, your system will need to be re-balanced.)

17. ThatDudeNick

ThatDudeNick Member

£250 just to replace valves... seriously. That's a reasonable price for a plumber?! No wounder the OP wants to have a go himself I would too.

Good luck OP

18. Hmm, yeah - perhaps a bit steep :)

19. Dave does Gas

If it to be done properly yes. Full system drain down if there is no drain off point one will have to be cut in, replace all the valves that includes the removal of all the old olives and nuts, fitting of the new valves correctly not a PTFE bodge. If applicable clean out the F&E tank so as not to allow any built up muck back into the system during refill. Add an inhibitor and refill including venting rads and secondary pipework. Test and balance the system. on an average sized system thats five to five hours work plus materials. So Yes Nick it is a reasonable price. Plus you should get the assurance of a years guarantee on the installers work.

You try getting a solicitor to do an hours bit of land conveyancing and see what price you have to pay. Ask your dentist to fit a crown, have an accountant do your tax return or
    have a new consumer unit supplied and fitted by a sparky.

Trouble with some people is they just dont appreciate a skilled trades person or are unwilling to pay for one. True some people have the skills to do it themselves and thats fine but clearly the OP doesn't or else he wouldnt even be asking about pipe sizes. Chances are he won't even have the tools and sundries to do the job without a leak so in his case and people without the skills it is money well spent.

20. Good point - to balance a system is a very long-winded task. And that would need doing with new valves both ends.