Radiator Valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dave104, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Dave104

Dave104 New Member

I recently moved into a new house and was looking into removing the radiator so I could paint behind it in the next few weeks when I start decorating. When looking at the valves, one end has a TRV and the other a different type. I closed the TRV and then went to close the other valve and found it was already 100% screwed clockwise already. When I turned it anti clockwise it started leaking from the connection, this leak stopped again when i turned it back clockwise 100%.
    The radiator heats ups when the TRV is open and has been in use the since we moved in without me knowing about the other valve. Is this dangerous to have one valve completely closed and could it cause problems for the rest of my central heating system?
    I will obviously get this fixed when I remove the radiator for decorating but want to know if i need to have this radiator off the whole time until then?
    cheers

2. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Are you sure it was fully clockwise and not open a tiny bit?

Do both rad pipes feel hot (one should be cooler than the other but not cold)?

If it was leaking round the spindle, tighten the nut round the spindle.

3. Dave104

Dave104 New Member

Yes was definetly fully clockwise, and started leaking as soon as I turned it quarter turn anti clockwise.

I tried to tighten the nut at the time. It tightened very slightly but still the same result, could it possibly a bad connection or cross threaded?

I'm not currently in my house so can't say if the pipe is cold or warm but will check later.

4. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Where exactly is it leaking from? A pic would help.

5. Dave104

Dave104 New Member

It's leaking between the valve and the radiator.
    I've just read online that clockwise could be the valve fully open (on some valves) and that the pressure of a closed valve could force water through a bad thread etc? Could this be possible?
    Would the radiator get hot if the valve was fully closed if the flow is stopped?
    Will try get a picture on when I get home.
    Cheers

6. MoTem

MoTem Member

Hi, I got the same problem, when I had someone painted the toilet wall, the guy removed the radiator then put it back on after painting. I turned the heating on at the time for testing, it was working, then I turned it off. After maybe a couple of days, I found one of the radiator valves was leaking, then the guy came to tighten it, no leaking at that time, I thoguht it was ok. When I turned the heater on recently, that radiator is totally cold. I don't know what's wrong??

7. MoTem - please start a new thread on this - it's a different issue. (You either have an air lock, or the TRV or the lockshield valve is stuck offski).

Dave, the radiator wouldn't (shouldn't...) get properly hot if that valve (it's called a 'lockshield') is genuinely fully offski. There is a single pipe going to each ends of the rad, yeah?

It also doesn't make sense that it's the joint betwixt the valve and rad that leaks when you turn it open, 'cos that joint will have water in it regardless.

So this is all weird.

I can imagine a leak forming from around that valve's spindle - could it be from there?

Anyhoo - a photo, please.

8. Dave104

Dave104 New Member

Thanks for your reply, sorry for the delay in mine!

The radiator definitely is getting just as hot in the other in the house when it is on, yes it only has 1 pipe in and out of radiator.

The leak is definitely from around the nut area, i.e between the valve and the radiator.

Its been suggested to me by an engineering friend that it could be that the valve is the opposite way, i.e anti clockwise for closed and clockwise for open (as radiator heats up when fully clockwise), and it may be leaking when i turn it anticlockwise (closed) as the pressure builds up in the radiator forcing it out of a leak, i asked would it not just leak all the time and he said that water will follow the easiest route, so if valve is open could pass ok with out showing a leak if the pressure isnt great enough. Is this at all plausible? doesn't sound right to me.

Im hoping the photo loads up ok, struggling to upload for some reason.

cheers

9. Dave104

Dave104 New Member

Valve

Attached Files:

10. Dave104

Dave104 New Member

I will be getting it fixed in next couple of weeks either way. But just want to be sure if it is closed or open etc that it is not dangerous or can cause damage to my CH system?

11. No risk of damage to your system - don't worry.

But, it's a bloomin' mystery all right.

I guess it could be a weird counter-operating valve like your Eng friend says - but weird...

As for closing it causing that leak due to build up of back-pressure inside the rad - his other thought - well, I guess that's technically possible too - but even more weird.

So, all weird, man. :)

As you reckon yourself, wouldn't that leak drip regardless of the slight increase in pressure - I mean, how well 'on the edge' must this leak be that it doesn't drip at, ooh, 0.2 bar but does at 0.3?!

Can you confirm - there is a single pipe at BOTH ends?

That's 10mm microbore pipe?