Radiator Valves - Why pay more than about £5.99 for a TRV??

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Max, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Max

Max Guest

I am in the process of designing my own central heating system (to be checked by a CORGI neighbour). However, he recommends Drayton TRV's which it turns out are the Rolls Royce's of TRV's and three times the cost of screwfix's own budget model. So - why pay more for a 'named' model? All I want it to do is do it's job and look OK.

Views of experienced installers would be most welcome!

max

2. Stoday

Stoday New Member

Just a thought for what it's worth...

It's DIY installers who are more likely to help you with this. The pros install and are then gone. DIYers have to live with it.

3. AlanE

AlanE New Member

You summed it up in one "All I want it to do is do it's job and look OK."

The 'proper' make ones do it better and normally for longer. I normally use Honeywell.

Alan

4. Max

Max Guest

Alan,

Thanks for your reply but what do you mean by the named manufacturers models 'do it better'?? Surely a TRV either works or it doesn't. Excuse my ignorance but I'll only pay double if I really have to for these things - will it really make a noticable difference to the rad performance over time??

many thanks,

Max

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heelllooo max

ive got el cheepos and guess what
    they are large unsightly
    and they are designed for horizontal fitting
    so the number are upside down when verticle
    but that a good few years ago
    when cheep was about £12 each
    they may have inprooved
    by now

big all

6. bleeding_knuckles

bleeding_knuckles New Member

Max

quoting your original analogy, my car works but i'd much rather have the Rolls! especially if the difference is only £5-10. I appreciate if you need lots then that's fair wedge but if you're installing a new system then i would have thought it's worth it over the life of the system.

Better wax capsules, more accurate and precise temp control, better quality checks etc?

I'll need a to buy a TRV in a short while so like you i'd be interested to know if there is difference, but i've always gone down the 'you get what you pay for' road in terms of plumbing.

7. SC

SC New Member

I've just moved into a house where cheap. TRVs were fitted a few years ago. They are stiff to turn so diffecult to set the level accurately and one wistles when it is half off (as the room heats up). I've now got to drain the system and replace at least that one, although I might change them all while I'm at it. For the price difference it's not really worth the trouble later on. Pegler are meant to be OK and not too expensive. However my parents house has drayton, a couple of the valves are now leaking (another job to do sometime) so maybe they all have problems. Just my experience.

Simon

8. Pugley

Pugley Member

Over the past 20 years (eek is it that long!) I have used, replaced, sworn at many types of valve. I think Drayton are the most common so they tend to be the ones that I see most of when they eventually sieze in the shut position. It's not the thermostatic head that fails it is usually the operating pin in the valve body that gets stuck, often due to corrosion within the system.

The best way to ensure that TRVs last a long time is keep the system clean and use inhibitor/preservative at all times.

I have recently replaced a couple of 18 year old Myson valves with the Screwfix ECA cheapies and will post on this site if they fail - but dont hold your breath!

9. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

hi
    10 years ago i did my mothers heating, she wanted a top job and was prepared to pay for it. so i fitted honeywell valves. since then i have replaced all of them, at different intervals, even rolls royces have a life span. my advise is, fit cheepo's hope for the best and when they seize, relace them with another cheepo. and the way things are going in the plumbing industry, the new cheepo's will be cheeper then the cheepo's you used 2 years ago.

10. tgs

tgs New Member

I found that the cheap TRVs from B&Q tend to freeze after a few years. I much prefer the Honeywell TRVs they are a reasonable price compared with Draytons and don't care which way round they are fitted. Pugley's description of the problem with the Draytons is spot on and the solution is probably the best way to ensure longevity.

11. buildit

buildit New Member

Which ever one you buy go for one that allows for flow either way through the valve.

12. Launcelyn

Launcelyn New Member

Ours are Danfoss and are all 48 years old (installed 1968), and none have been replaced yet. However these days the pins have a habit of sticking (usually in the off or nearly off position) during the summer, and each year at the start of the heating season I have to do the rounds and free off a dozen or so (there are about 50-60 in all) One day we will replace the lot but not until I am confident of a suitable replacement.

13. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Hi Max
    How long to you expect to live in your current property?
    Do you want to do the job just once, or have to do it again further down the line?.
    The TRVs will be working all day, every day, as they constantly attempt to adjust the water flow to maintain the room temperature at the set value. (They will even be working when the boiler is off - the valves do not sense a lack of water flow).
    My CH system had cheapo, unbranded, TRV's fitted, by the original installer and many have leaked over the years. I'm in the process of replacing them all with Drayton TRVs. Also a lack of drain-offs have not helped either. Also I have replaced some of the lockshield valves by these neat looking Pegler valves (SF 83588), there are others available.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-terrier-chrome-lockshield-valve-15mm/83588
    I have a maxim in life, avoid cheap unbranded items, top of the range are nice if you can afford, but otherwise purchase middle of the range branded.
    Listen to the views of the experts (not necessary me!)