Raditor pipes & skirting

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jonny5, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Jonny5

Jonny5 New Member

My radiator pipes are really close to the wall. I am going to fit some new skirting and I want to cut a semi circlular channel about 2 cm across and about 0.5cm deep into the skirting for the pipes to run through.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can do this neatly?

Thanks,
    Jon

2. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

You could consider routing the skirting or also consider boxing in the pipes completely?

Shedmen

3. Jonny5

Jonny5 New Member

Thanks for the reply - I had considered using a router. I presume the £20 Direct power one would do the job?

Can you tell me what king of bit i would need to create the channel I need?

As you can guess, i have never used a router before - plenty of practice on some off cuts will be required!

4. !!

!! Active Member

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/TR208||@cCove@b|0|user|1,0,0,1|3|

Something like this one, I've done this a few times I'd suggest that you put the skirting board joins behind the pipes

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

My radiator pipes are really close to the wall. I am
    going to fit some new skirting and I want to cut a
    semi circlular channel about 2 cm across and about
    0.5cm deep into the skirting for the pipes to run
    through.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can do
    this neatly?

Thanks,
    Jon

assuming its 15mm pipe if your only going in 5mm your channel will be shallow and wont need to be so wide
    if its 22mm it would be faily flat
    i would suggest by far the easiest way to do it is to machine cut the scirting centraly at the back off where the pipe is going to be and router each half seperatly
    you wont realy see the join if you line them up properly and iff your painting it wont matter
    what you need is 1mm clearence all round so your cutter needs to be the radius of pipe plus 1 mm so 8.5 mm radius

this cutter is only just big enough with virtualy no clearence but gives you the idea
    http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/trend/cutter.php?id=10590

big all

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

there you are gonzosfrenchcar

beat me to it by nearly an hour great minds think alike

7. jonah.

jonah. New Member

Jonny5

The routing option would look really neat if done nicely but I think you need to think about redecoration in years to come. It may not look so neat after 3 or four redecorations!!

I would be tempted to box the skrting out locally for the length of the rad and pipes, as Shedmens suggestion, so that the skirt passes in front of the pipes. Bit more work but I think better in the long run. The area under a radiator is often a dust trap any way and harder to reach with some vacuum cleaners - God I'm such a girl sometimes!!!!

Cheers - jonah

8. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

I have done it in a slightly different way. I sandwiched two bits if skirting together and using a flat bit drill bored down through the middle. On separation the half round trench was formed but I then had to cut it through the middle to get it behind the pipes. The other piece was trimmed to fit the other end. It actually worked quite well but I think the router option is easier to do as it is easy to wander off centre drilling.

DWD

9. nigel

nigel Guest

Could use the tip of belt sander where belt wraps around roller.

10. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

I know you have done it, but you can buy skirting board that fits over pipework.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I would just mark it and take it out with a round rasp file, then sandpaper(have it done as quick as setting up a router and guide). It is only a small amount.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

12. big all

big all Screwfix Select

in general you wont get the skirting behind the radiator and behind the pipes in one piece because of the need to feed it in pretty well flat to the wall and usualy hindered by a wall each end also you usualy need quite a bit of movement on the pipes that normaly requires disconnection from the radiator

radiator pipes are ideal for hiding joins in shorter lenghts especialy if your useing white pipe covers

big all