Rafter Fixing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SteveBlewer, Mar 11, 2009.

1. SteveBlewer

SteveBlewer New Member

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advise.

I am just about to start constructing my traditional cut, lean-to roof on my new extension.

I have fixed my wall plate onto the new walls, and I have also fixed a 6x2 ridge board to the existing house wall.

It has been specified that I birdsmouth the rafters at both ends by 1/3 depth, which is fine, and I will also be using truss clips at both ends to help fix everything together.

I intend to fix everything together with screws. I know this will take a lot longer, but I don't mind that, and to be honest I trust screws more than nails, always have.

My question is, can anyone recommend what screws to use? I would like to buy them from Screwfix, so if anyone could recommend some, I would really appreciate it.

Oh, forgot to mention, using 6x2 rafters as well.

Thanks guys

Steve

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Passivated screws at the bare minimum Steve.

Maybe you have or haven't an impact driver..if you haven't, the purchase of one will make life a lot easier with respect to driving the screws home. However there are the economic factors to consider as to wether it will just gather dust after you have finished the job, or will have other jobs found for it.

3. SteveBlewer

SteveBlewer New Member

Thanks for the reply JP.

I haven't got an impact driver, but I was considering one. I was thinking about buying a Dewalt bare unit, as I already have 2 18v combi's and 4 batteries.

As far as the screws are concerned, would the TurboGold screws be sufficient do you think?

4. bigjules

bigjules New Member

If you're birds-mouthing both top and bottom, neither screws nor nails will add any strength to the roof - all they'll do is locate the common rafters in their required positions. The strength, as it were, in the rafters is the imposed load of the horizontal cut of the birds mouths on the wallplates, if you see what I mean.....so provided the wall plates are securely fixed, Bob's your aunties' husband.

IMHO, waste of money screwing or using truss clips whan a couple of 4" wires toshed will be more than adequate.

5. SteveBlewer

SteveBlewer New Member

Thanks for that Bigjules.

I do understand that all the loadings will be taken by the birdsmouth cut, and that the wall plate and ridge boards are fixed really well, but I like overengineering everything regarding this build, it helps me sleep at night!!!!

If you saw what went into the raft foundations, you would understand what I mean. It's only a single storey, but I reckon I could build a block of flats on the site.

6. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

Modern screws are hardened and quite easy to snap under strain, a mild steel 4" nail subjected to the same forces will only bend a bit.

Just nail it, it's a better job.

7. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

If U must screw it then use Spax, owt else is just cheap tat! :^O

8. DUDE123

DUDE123 Member

If U must screw it then use Spax, owt else is just
    cheap tat! :^O

agree :)

9. MechEng

MechEng New Member

Chippy John is spot on, screws are more likely to snap than nails. If you want to buy a toy then get a Paslode! Spend your time getting the cuts on the rafters spot on, tight fitting birdsmouth's are where the strength comes from.

10. SteveBlewer

SteveBlewer New Member

11. MechEng

MechEng New Member

Yep, They are the correct ones for that sort of metalwork.

12. imran_

imran_ New Member

All that said, either screws or nails will do since they're just holding the rafters in place.

Buy a DeWalt driver - nice bit of kit, you'll be looking for more stuff to screw