rafters cut short and timber nailed to them, is that ok?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ramsat, Jun 17, 2017.

1. ramsat

ramsat Member

hi

i'm having a small first floor extension done with a hipped roof. the carpenter thought the existing rafters were sitting on top of the new steel beam whereas they were meant to be on the side of the steel and cut them too short by about 6". what he's done is nailed new 4x2 to each rafter he's cut short so that they can attach to the side of the beam and these run up just past the purlin. 3 of the rafters have been cut anyway with double trimmers to allow access from the loft into the new loft area.

1.jpg 2.jpg

i've attached a couple of pics but is that ok do you think? i've got the building inspector coming next week, but would appreciate some advice as to whether that's adequate and likely to meet building regs?

thanks in advance

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It is known as sistering, fixing a timber to the side of a rafter or joist.

3. ramsat

ramsat Member

ok thanks, so do you think that would be ok, there's not a lot of tiles up above there but i was wondering if that will keep the building inspector happy?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

one things for sure.................you will know next week!

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

That's rubbish at the very least they should be bolted together, but they shouldn't have been cut too short in the first place.

Astramax likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wouldn't think BCO will allow it, as it's not bolted, etc.

Must let us know if your BCO want them completely replaced...:)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

OK beat me again:oops:,your spot on though.:rolleyes:

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

In this instance also know as 'Bodging'.

Deleted member 164349 and KIAB like this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Also present in OP's other post Tile Batten.:eek:

10. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Personally, if this was my project the rafters should be replaced not some form of bodge job. How heavy are the tiles etc? I'm only DIY but this looks seriously naff!

11. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Structurally the job will be fine with a good overlap say 1200 and bolts with timber and spiky washers. A few nails aren't good enough. Probably favourite is to try to get BC to condemn it then it's clean and easy to get the guy to sort. (Unless of course you've already paid him)

This isn't a carpenter's work: look at the cuts to the layboard, and that was before I noted KIAB's observation that this was the batten abortion job!! I would worry what sort of wood-butchery has gone into the bits we can't see.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Quite agree.

Also look closely at 2nd photo,top of opening left side, carpenter can't even cut an angle on a common rafter properly, wonder what other horrors are yet to be found.

If I was BCO I would condemn it.

13. ramsat

ramsat Member

cheers guys for the advice. i suspected it was a bit iffy which is why i asked on here for a second opinion. i wasn't sure whether to bring it to the building inspectors attention or just see if he notices. but i think i will point it out to him and see what he says. no i haven't paid him, so will get bc to confirm what he wants of not good enough. if he wants new rafters then it will be a bit of a job feeding them up over the purlin with the roof on etc. but as per my other thread i think he's going to have to do the battens again.

thanks again

14. He should have removed the battens, and fixed the lay plates straight onto the existing rafters.

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The purling has been cut for the new opening. I would check with the BCO if he is happy with the arrangements or if he requires a strut putting in to support the ends either side of the opening.

16. ramsat

ramsat Member

I did wonder about that

17. ramsat

ramsat Member

Hi, no the purlin is about a meter further up the roof fortunately. Those are double trimmers he's fitted that you can see.

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Thats one less thing to worry about then ;)

Shame your going to be delayed with all this nice weather aound - a bit hot for roofing but at least its not wet or windy

19. ramsat

ramsat Member

Yeah tell me about it. We had the wet and extremely windy weather when the roof was a tarpaulin or at least it was for part of the night lol. At least it's weathered up for now and the tiling I will be able to pick away at in the evening s and weekends once I know where I stand with the bco

20. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

"carpenter?". People knock DIY and say "call in the pro's". Jeez. 2 threads. 2 sets of bodges and shots of ***** work. I would get BC to condemn, and if you can get a new chippy. This guy is building structural work, but doesn't seem to have any idea - few nails for "sisters" - what else has he done that you haven't spotted? Also, re the battens, obviously with rosemary tiles the neatness of the finished roof relies totally on perfect spacing of the battens. Wobbly out of line battens results in wobbly out of line tiles.