Raised bed

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Not-a-Decor8r, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Not-a-Decor8r

Not-a-Decor8r Member

Hi,

I have my neighbours adjoining garage that runs along one side of my garden and thought adding some raised beds with concrete blocks with a bit of cladding on top to make it look good.

Got some questions;

1. Would building this along the garage need permission? Would it potentially lead to structural issues?
    2. Would I be better off leaving a gap between garage/blocks?
    3. Any recommendation on the foundational base?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No permission is needed, shouldn't be any structal issues,as your planter foundations will be shallow, usually 150mm is ample, & 300mm wide if using a 100mm block.(Allows 100mm overhang each side of wall.)

Wouldn't leave a gap, as this allows crud to get down there & results in a damp wall.
    I would just paint wall with 1 or 2 coats of something like 'Everbuild 908 Black Jack Damp Proof Liquid Membrane' from TS 10290 to waterproof wall.

dubb likes this.
  3. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

As it's not your garage, I would expect there would be some requirement before you start painting anything onto it! If nothing else a quick discussion with the owner.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:oops::oops::oops:

I misread that post.

If built a rectangular planter you left a 50mm or so, between garage wall & planter wall, you wouldn't need to seal garage wall, probably

5. I personally would leave a gap as it's not your garage.

A small gap can be closed above using whatever you will be topping your planter with, and if much builds up behind over the years, a jet washer should soon shift it.

Not-a, are you sure you want to build this using block? Why not sleepers or similar? No founds required. And generally a 'warmer' look too.

Sleeper raised bed with a trellis backing - that'll cover the wall nicely.