Raising double socket options

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DJU, Aug 19, 2014.

1. DJU

DJU Member

Just moved into our new house and all the double sockets are sitting on the skirting. I want to raise them up to allow for new skirting but also to meet regs, but looking for options available.

I am thinking my only options are:

1 - Rewire (seems costly option)

2 - Remove sockets and extend the ring cables leading into socket

Is option 2 viable and if so, what sort of joining methods could I use to get some extra length to the cables?

If anyone else knows of additional options available, it would be greatly appreciated to know as my other half feels soo down after seeing the house in it's raw state and want to get things moving.

Appreciate any assistance/knowledge shared.

2. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Normally the socket wiring comes down the wall which would not pose a problem, but how you describe it I think yours may come from under the wooden floor ????????????. Personally I am not in favour of sticking loads of joints into cables :)

3. DJU

DJU Member

Thanks flateric, my head has been thinking that the cable come up from under the floorboards and is probably the case, but I will double check that this is the case tonight.

Is my thought of being able to extending the cables an option or is the frowned upon or even illegal and wouldn't pass regs. My head is thinking that it is similar to putting in a spur but instead just extending the cable to go into the same box

4. flateric

You can check to see if there is any slack, it may give you a few inches

5. DJU

DJU Member

That would be the best outcome.

Do you know if I could extend the cables though if I needed to? My worry is that if this is not an option then I only have the option for a re-wire which is going to cost a small fortune.

Houses really are money pits aren't they

6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

If the wiring is in the new blue / brown colours I would try to keep the existing cables and pull / join as required.
    If it is in the old red / black colours I would install new.
    Junction boxes under the floor would be good. You may be able to pull through some longer lengths as required. Crimp / Wagos in the existing back boxes in the wall can be covered with the skirting.

7. flateric

Inaccessible joints........... not good :rolleyes:

8. DJU

DJU Member

It is acceptable to extend the cables then, but best to have the extensions under the floorboards for accessibility? Could you use protected terminal blocks?

9. metrokitchens

I was under the understanding that crimps / wago were mechanical joints and access was not required.

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Very true Metro. I have just used Wago push fits (I wont ever use crimps) to modify my wiring and these are deemed as no access required after fitting. However the push fit ones have to be de rated to 20 Amps - luckily enough I found this out, so instead of breaking at 30/32 I will have to break at 20 to comply with Wago specs. I believe the lever type Wago's will actually allow 30/32 amp breaking.

A small point, but very important for critical circuit design I would think.

11. metrokitchens

On a ring main would it still be ok under the theory that it is 16A each leg? Or is that just kitchen fitter electrics? :D

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

No I think its the prospective fault current which dictates that the Wago push fit must be rated at 20 amp max Metro. So on my ring which was 30 Amp and due to modifications (change of mind on extension use after I wired it) the use of Wagos on the ring dictated that the breaker should be 20 amp max - no probs as the loading is very light tbqh. Bad forethought on my part though, I freely admit that.

13. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hiya
    The Wago 222 (lever type) is suitable for ring with 32A overload protection.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks for the verification Fats - wish I knew that before using the push fit.

The lever types are also the only ones which you can use for stranded - these came in very handy when I wired up overrun etc for my fan etc, and it is a boon when you mix solid and stranded using these 222's.

Good stuff Fats.

FatHands likes this.
  15. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi JP,
    No problem mate, it's nice to put something back in to the great forum ;)
    Cheers bud

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Also those push fit are really handy when you take a socket etc off the wall and you have to leave the wires out for decorating or whatever, it takes seconds to push/twist on yellows and you can leave ring intact..or just cap off a radial or lighting wires etc etc. Saves using messy gammy insulating tape and a term block etc.

17. metrokitchens

18. Where are you? Dodge City? Are you seriously proposing two joint boxes under the floor at every socket? If you have a suspended ground floor then the only option is to run new legs ie option 1.
    You haven't mentioned RCD's.

19. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

If the floor is hollow underneath (like what old houses were :) ) then the chances are there will be enough slack in the wiring to pull up and relocate the socket. If they run down the wall, again its to your advanyage as you are creating slack by lifting the socket towars the wiring hence it will be ok. The first floor might be a different story ( :) ) and you may have slack that will pull up or you may need to rewire. I would not advocate joints in the cable for so short a length, wago or not, very amateur and very poor.

20. Still no comment about RCD's!
    Sockets on the skirting board indicate old installation. Are you sure you know what you're doing?