random orbital sander swirls disappear with paint?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by tellme_why, May 21, 2016.

1. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

Hello all,
    I am sanding a MDF six panel door with a makita random orbital sander by using 80, 120 and 240 grits in stages.
    I am getting some swirls; should I care or they will disappear when I paint with satinwood oil paint?

Many thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

MDF or hardboard? 80 grit is a bit course, prime the wood using an acrylic primer undercoat, sand of the knibs off by hand see how it looks as it may benefit from a second coat then your satinwood with a minimum of 2 coats.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Even 120 isn't fine enough for mdf/hardboard, your looking at 180 FINE or 240 VERY FINE.
    There are various weights, & type of paper can also make a difference.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

....and I would finish it off by hand and a sanding block.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

Thanks Astramax; I am not sure whether it's MDF or Hardboard.. how to tell? They are about 10 years old and very light weight...

6. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

.. "prime the wood".. I have sanded the door to smooth the surface and remove the stripes of previous brush paint. I did sand down to the "MDF" only on few spot by mistake. Do I need primer at all or just 2 coats of satinwood?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If it's only spots you will probably be ok. Satinwood paints are generally self undercoating, what brand are you going to use?

8. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

thanks Astramax; I am usin Dulux Satinwood

9. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

.. Problem solved!... How? .. I read the Orbital sander instruction manual!!
    .. basically I should start sanding 80 grit @ speed 5 which is the maximum. This also used the maximum swirl.
    Then I change to 120 grit @ speed 3 which has less swirl and eventually 240 grit at speed 1 which is for "polish" and very low swirl..
    My mistake I was using 80 - 120 - 240 @ speed 5 all the way which is wrong.. :)

KIAB likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek::eek::eek:

Your just one of many who never read a manual, & I made that some mistake last year.:oops::oops:
    Usually buying new tools I always have a nosey at the manual, but I didn't when I bought a Bosch GKF 600 router, & I regret it now.:(