Rangemaster cooker surround

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by lanster, Jul 23, 2015.

1. lanster

lanster New Member

Hello, I'm wanting to construct a surround that goes up either side and around the extractor fan on my wife's 1100 cooker was just wondering if it was better to use mdf or plasterboard I'm going to make a timber frame but wondered what's best to board it with? The inset of cooker will be tiled. Thanks

2. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

My "wife's" cooker lol :D:D:D

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What a nice fella you are to buy your wife a cooker, I was offered a dishwasher last week but declined as I already have one.

4. Photo, lanster, so's we can see what you want to do?

Most extractor canopies are chust made from the same MDF as the corresponding kitchen units. Provided they are at the recommended height above the hob, there shouldn't be any issues at all.

I'd personally use MDF as it's easier to get into the shape you want, is more durable, and doesn't require taping and filling/skimming.

Wait a mo' - you are going to tile this? Ah - in that case use p'board as it's much easier to work with and won't 'move' with heat.