Ratio for mist coat?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by PHILPH, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

2. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Exactly!! How on earth do you post those links, I just cant get the hang of it.

Potty.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

Copy the url and then paste.
  4. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Cheers mate, I will give that a go. But dont hold it against me if something unrelated to the topic pops up. It will just be old Potty doing a paswag.

Thanks again!

Potty.
  5. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

6. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Potty makes a good point here:

I cast my mind back to nearly 40 years ago, when I worked as a young dec employed by a local health authority. The paints in those days were Permoglaze & Macphersons, they for obvious reasons were of vinyl content. We many times used these as a mistcoat with good result, dont condem a product than can and produce the desired effect.

Important point being (if I may) .. that contract emulsion, has been designed for new work whereby painters need to get crackin' on with the job. You can't or shouldn't do this with a vinyl, if the plaster is still drying out.
  7. apl

apl Member

Guttercat, your posts have been very knowledgeable on this subject, I've learnt a bit myself. I've mist coated with vinyl matt quite a few times and never had problems. I've only once used silk as a mist coat (trade dulux), it took me twice as long than using contract matt. You state in one of your posts not to use dulux rich matt as a mist coat. Why is this? If its not a vinyl or a contract, what is it? Thanks
  8. potty painter

potty painter New Member

apl, hope you are keeping well. I have a feeling that Gc is refering to Dulux light & space, a paint that I have not yet used. I can only assume that the high reflection quality of this product has something to do with this, this is one that I will leave to the cat. As i'm a little unsure myself.
    Take care!

Potty.
  9. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

apl:
    You state in one of your posts not to use dulux rich matt as a mist coat. Why is this? If its not a vinyl or a contract, what is it? Thanks

I know not apl, but it's a weird paint, and that's according to Dulux themselves. <u>Seal new, bare and porous surfaces, including previously unpainted patterned textured ceiling coatings, new buildings that have a plasterboard finish and wallcoverings that are suitable for painting (not vinyls or washables). For best results, use Dulux Plaster Sealer.</u>

They reckon you should seal anything first prior to using it!!
    This is a retail paint :O and as such they even say that it shouldn't be used on blown vinyls and... get this, they once told me that they don't recommend you use it on lining paper without using plaster sealer first.:O and definitely not on new plaster, although matey has with success.
  10. apl

apl Member

Cheers for that Guttercat. I agree, this is a wierd one. I don't use the stuff normally but my local dec centre's got the stuff on special (£1 a litre). i was gonna use it on new plaster until I read the blurb on the pack which you highlighted in your post. It got me thinking just what the heck is the stuff? :O

Personally i think its a glorified contract paint aimed at the retail market.

Dont fancy delving any deeper into the technicalities of it all because, like most ceilings I paint, it goes over my head. :)
  11. apl

apl Member

Potty, i am keeping well, thanks. Hope things are ok at your end mate.
  12. Adam009

Adam009 New Member

Hi guys, I&#146;ve recently had my walls skimmed, and was looking for the ratio on mist coats. I have a big tub of b&q's own brand white matt emulsion, but it seems thinner than any other matt emulsions... as if its thinner... take more coats than other emulsions etc. is it ok to use this? how would I work out the ratio to use? Dont want to risk making a big mess! :-O

Cheers!
    -Adam
  13. Antimagnolia

Antimagnolia New Member

aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!

no more mist coat discussions please!

all the possible questions have already been asked!
  14. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Mr. Handy,

You seem to be confusing PVA adhesive with PVA emulsion paint. An adhesive should not be applied as a substitute for paint. Even if an adhesive shares a resin type with a particular paint, it will have a completely different formula.

PVA resins are permeable and so they are used in emulsion paints where a tolerance of mild dampnes might be required, such as in new plasterwork. Dulux Trade Supermatt is a PVA co-polymer resin emulsion paint and is, therefore, ideal for such work.

Some emulsion paints with 'vinyl' in their description are often acrylic co-polymer resins and must only be applied to completely dry surfaces. There are others which may also be called 'vinyl' something or other, which are also PVA co-polymers. However, the different species of molecules used in the co-polymerisation may have, for instance, lowered its tolerance to dampness and so these paints should only be used on completely dry surfaces.
  15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

What I know about paint is limited but to explain in a simple way, any paint that has PVA base, or vinyl in it's description should be steered away from using as a priming/mist-coat.

A test would be to brush such a paint onto a resilient surface(shiny plastic or polished metal eg) and then attempt to remove it when dry.

The majority of the PVA based paints might peel off, but paints without those attributes may need scraping.

Indeed, many of the former will peel off in strips, rather than be difficult to remove, even by scraping.

That is the difference.

Watered down may make some difference, but the principle is the same.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really
  16. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Oh Mr. Handyandy,

I do not wish to offend you, so I apologise for saying this, but you do have some rather unique ideas about some aspects of paint, appropriate surfaces and conditions.

Well, I tried to give you a concise description regarding the use of PVA emulsion paint, but it missed the target.
  17. Ukuwi

Ukuwi New Member

In my experience, it really depends on which brand of paint you are using, as many of the cheaper home brand paints, like B&Q's own brand budget matt emulsion have so much water in them already, it is not necessary to mix any water in them, having said that I always use a 50/50 with Dulux matt emulsion.