rcbo type

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by jumping jack, Mar 25, 2015.

1. jumping jack

jumping jack New Member

Hi there could anyone tell me the type of rcbo i would need for the 5 double sockets and 1 single i have just put in in my old school house room. I have asked about this before but there are so many types i would like to be sure. I see a single pole one but dont no if that would do or not. Can anyone help please as i am trying to do this asap as this is almost the last job after renovation. THANKS

2. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

The rating of he RCBO would depend on the type of circuit you have installed (radial or ring?) and the current carrying capacity of the cable you have used. Much more info needed :)

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If it's a ring circuit, (with or without spurs) and wired in 2.5mm t/e a 32 amp 30m/a rcbo will be needed, if a radial on 2.5mm t/e a 16 or 20 amp 30m/a one will be needed.

4. jumping jack

jumping jack New Member

Thanks Seneca what i am trying to find out is there are so many to look at on the net, like a single pole or a consumer RCBO etc etc all i want is one that i can wire 2 lots of live 2 lots of neutral ,obviously the earth has its own spot. Any suggestions pal

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Single pole is all that's required.

6. jumping jack

jumping jack New Member

Thanks very much will get it sorted now. Much appreciated

7. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

If you have an upstream RCD (e.g. a 100mA S-type) then you should be looking at one which switches both poles otherwise a Neutral/Earth fault is liable to take out the upstream device as well.

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Please explain.

9. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

If you have a Neutral/Earth fault on a final circuit, and the relevant single-pole RCBO operates it will disconnect the phase conductor but leave the Neutral/Earth fault in situ. This will create an imbalance and the upstream S-type RCCB will operate after its time delay has expired.

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Well, that's all well and good. But unless you have a dual busbar, with live and neutral input, you cannot get a dp RCBO, only single pole. At least I am not aware that a one exists. To achieve dp you need to go the RCCB route and that may not be plausible for a variety of reasons. So whilst your explanation may hold some water, it is not helping the OP. :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  11. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Of course you can if you wire the links (or get phase & neutral busbar - it does exist).