RCCB protection

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by yorkyguy, Apr 21, 2015.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Un I know you don't want to plant spuds, but you can still plant daffodils and stuff in that ilk because you only have to go to a depth of what 50mm, that still leaves a 100mm clear space between bottom of corm and top of SWA..the same for tulips and crocus and plants like that..and also EEBADS shows everything is ok.

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

That's why its armoured JP. :)

3. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

UN
    with all due respect, may i suggest you re read your post.
    The Op is INCOMPETENT to do this work...SAFELY...he has just accepted that !
    "Part P is unenforceable. Yes, it is Law, but the people...."
    Yes it is THE LAW..............Come on read your own words.....he is 'liable to prosecution' should anything go wrong.
    Really UN, I am rather disappointed in that post from you mate.....it's *********** rubbish.
    RS

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Give it a rest RS read YOUR post and see how patronising it is. He just wants advice not a bloody lecture!

Rulland likes this.
  5. retiredsparks

He got advise...which was based on his information and attitude.
    Advice based on the technical and safety aspects of his post and knowledge.
    I have reported your abuse to me, on another post.
    well done Un, very disappointed.
    RS

6. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Hello UP.
    Wow - thanks for the copious response and it is so positive to be offered advice rather than be dismissed:). I could go on - but I will take up your offer of advice. The installation (IF I go ahead) will be neat and all wiring will be finished to the highest standards (it always was!)

Cheers

B
    :D

7. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Sadly, I wasn't aware that my posts indicated ANY attitude problem. I am simply here to get help and positive advice. After 37 years in education, this is what I did as a teacher - offer help and positive support to others!

8. retiredsparks

"he is playing all the right notes...but not necessarily in the right order"
    Was it Maslow who said....If your only tool is a hammer..you regards all problems as nails ?
    RS

9. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Never heard him.
    I've heard of " If I had a hammer" by Peter Paul & Mary (original by Trini Lopez)

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Or by Handy Andy (not that one)

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  11. PaulBlackpool

Bit after my time I'm afraid.

12. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

re post 48, that was Eric Morecambe referring to his own piano performance in front of André Previn! However Abraham Maslow also commented: 'What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself'
    :rolleyes:

13. PaulBlackpool

Oh dear!
    A bit too highbrow for me I'm afraid.:(

14. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Not aimed at you Paul - as a retired music lecturer I can occasionally draw on the odd scrap of knowledge now and then!:rolleyes:
    What a sad old man I am contributing to SF forums to sort out a power supply to a summer house rather than extolling the compositional virtues of Beethoven's third period - I must get out more!:confused:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  15. PaulBlackpool

My post was tongue in cheek. If you appreciate classical music as I do this is a superb place to get it just in case you have not come across it;- http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/

16. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Cheers Paul,

I assumed the tongue in cheek response - I only said it as a retort to 'others' on the thread!!

Yes - Presto is a great place to buy recordings if you are fed up of the ephemeral nature of the dreaded mp3 downloads. A mate of mine streams 20bit recordings on line - the fidelity is truly mind-blowing but not cheap and you can only store on a HDD and VERY, VERY expensive!!:eek: Anyway - back to the purpose of this very long thread - should I go and buy the remaining bits, dig a trench and stream live telly in our summer house?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  17. PaulBlackpool

I do have a streamer but prefer CD's and my old vinyl LP's. I Agree MP3 are useless for classical.

18. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

wot about the project?o_O

19. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

do I go ahead?

20. PaulBlackpool

It's up to you mate.
    As you are proposing to sell in the near future and you DIY you won't have the necessary paperwork to satisfy the buyer's solicitor. If you had no intention of selling (as I don't) in my case I am 100% confident of the work I am doing part of which was done by a registered ELECSA electrician who has said he will check my work when I have done the whole house. Since then ELECSA won't support 3rd party certification but I am hopeful of a Periodic Inspection Report. This does not satisfy Part P but it means that the installation is safe if it is found so to be. I do have some rudimentary test equipment and have done work like this for over 40 years as an amateur. The thing is I have a friendly electrician who I can call (at a price granted) if necessary. With the greatest respect I don't think you can expect a forum to talk you through doing a job whilst you are doing it. I really think that you need an electrician to check that your CU is adequate first. He might need to fit one for you and you could liase with him as to whether he might entertain you doing some of the rest. Sorry I can't be of more help but the fact that you intend to sell is the Catch 22