RCD as a mainswitch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Water Systems, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

RCD as a mainswitch.  A Wylex CU, not a spilt RDC unit and fitted about 9 years ago.   I believe that the main switch can be directly replaced with an RCD. Same connections and cables.  That so?

thanks

2. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

3. the flying fig

the flying fig New Member

Replacing the main switch with an RCD is a straightforward job if there is a seperate  isolator adjacent to the meter. If the meter tails come come straight into the consumer  unit you are faced with a problem, comply with all H & S requiments, or just dive in. Once the RCD is in postion remember that an earth-leakage fault on any circuit will cause a loss of supply to all cicuits. A High-Integrity board only halves the potential problem ( 2 RCDs). A High-Integrity board with RCBOs on essential cicuits is better. Sod's Law dictates that an RCD is likely to trip while you are on holiday with a freezer full of food ready for your return

4. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Its an easy way out to get that protection on all circuits but I think you will find that more than 1 RCD is required on an install nowadays so if you need to keep to the regs its not the best of idea but its better than no RCD at all.   Just might be a problem when you get total loss of power.

5. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Thanks.  But does one RCD comply with the regs?  Would it pass part P?

Another relavant point.  RCBOs on some circuits may be a good idea and leave the mainswitch, like the bathroom.

Does a Volex RCBO fit a Wylex CU rail?  Do you have to go with the make of the box?

6. sub379

sub379 New Member

no problem with one rcd , but i prefer seperate rcbo,s for each circuit.

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi water. May I ask what is behind your question? Why do you wish to do this?

Regards

8. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

If your not the one paying for them

9. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Yes a Volex will fit a Wylex Board, there all made by Electrium but badged a little different

10. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

behind,,,phnnrrr

11. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

So the Wylex and Volex RCBO's are exactly the same?   Will any make of  RCBO fit a Wylex, like any in the screwfix list.

12. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

To give RCD protection. Will it pass a Part P inspection?

13. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Will it pass Part P with one RCD as a mainswitch?  Will lleaving the existing mainswitch a few RCBOs only for te bathroom lights and circuits pass Part P as well?

14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Well, strictly it should not. The reason is that you will be changing the characteristics of the fuseboard and 17th edition requires at least 2 RCDs. Your defence would be to say it was already done like that, then it would 'pass'. To be fair it would depend on who you have to pass it on the day. one spark might say its okay, another might not. Thats the problem.

15. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

So if the Spark goes to a Part P job and an RCD is fitted as a mainswitch and it was there for a while, then he has to pass it?

16. Iknownothing

Iknownothing Guest

Unless your company fuse is a 60amp you can not use it anyway , as it is only rated to 63amp .

17. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

That's irrelevant

18. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

As I understand it, the A in an RCD is the switch contacts limit.  You cold have a 60A main fuse and am RCD or mainswitch with switch contacts rated at 100A. So it would make sense to have switch contacts higher than the main fuse rating.

An RCD does not cut out on current overload - an RCBO does combining an MCB and RCD.

19. Iknownothing

Iknownothing Guest

Lokkars , how is it irrelevent when the rcd in the link is clearly rated at 63amp ?
    Put that in as a main switch on a well loaded board that is pulling a full 100amp and stand back with the marshmallows !
    I know that it is not a dead cert that it will go up , but why take the risk . I have seen the results of just this , and lookily it was in a bakery and not a domestic property or there would have been fatalaties .

20. sparkyn20

sparkyn20 New Member

Obviously multiple RCDs and/or RCBOs are good practise, but where does the 17th Edition require more than 1 RCD ? Surely 17th just extended the requirement for RCD to so many circuits that people started putting in 2 or more ?