RCD consumer units

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Bonfire, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Bonfire

Bonfire New Member

Why do places only seem to stock consumer units that have RCD incomer of say 80A 30mA. I know you can get split load rcd 100mA and 30mA but why are these not more readily available and why do they cost so much as i am led to believe that we should be using split over single rcd to combat nusiance tripping.

2. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

It's an increasing trend it seems!

I'm told a major Housebuilder is considering building all it's future House's with 30mA RCD's as a main switch, irespective of any potential problems with nuisance tripping!

After saying that though it's not as common as some make out.

My Sister bought a House 4 years ago which had been rewired using a Hager 12 way board with a 30mA RCD as a main switch (PME supply) and has only had a few 'nuisance trips' in all that time.

3. Bonfire

Bonfire New Member

So Sine, what would you use?

4. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Ideally I would fit a 100A DP Isolator and all circuits would be fed by RCBO's

TT aside of course! ;)

5. mskelec

mskelec New Member

Sine, completely agree mate! That's how mine is going to be when I rewire in the new year.

6. mskelec

mskelec New Member

And there won't be any bloody rings either!

7. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

Something that makes sense. Now just need to get the manufacturers to drop the prices a lot

8. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Radial City all the way!

9. mskelec

mskelec New Member

Too right. I'm gonna run 4mm radials for up and down, and one for the kitchen. It won't be long till they're phased out anyway I think.

10. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

Radial 4.0mm def easier on the install,

11. steve CF

steve CF New Member

a lot of new builds are now installed with split load consumer units but with 2, 30mA RCD's instead of a standard main switch

12. Bonfire

Bonfire New Member

IT is for a TT-syatem. Seem tobe getting these alot at moment.

13. Bonfire

Bonfire New Member

Thinking of just using a 30mA rcd, as have seen alot of these lately and no one has said that they are having problems with tripping.

14. I work all over the country for a large shower manufacturer and can advise that problems do occur with 30ma RCDs with nuisance tripping. This mainly with pumps and cabinet power showers. Sometimes its standard electric units. Changing the product seldom rectifies this and normally the replacement with a 40ma RCD has the whole shooting lot working sweetly. Often its just another 30ma straight swap as they are so intollerent.Try telling that to a brand new house builder. Thing is these are so intermittent its hard to convince an end user. Just a thought.

15. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

A 40mA RCD eh! :O

16. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Bet there not cheap! :^O

17. Bonfire

Bonfire New Member

no shower, having mixer only small cottage.

40mA must be expensive and hard to find.

Cheers

18. True showing my age now. It was great days when everything electrical was British built and lasted until the next rewire. They are sourcable but getting rarer by the day. Seems now like 30s are vogue. As I said simply swopping the 30ma more than often cures it. If they were all expensive 100s where would my work go?