RCD on a TN-C-S supply question.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by collectors, Apr 23, 2015.

1. collectors

collectors Member

Hi, i live in a rural area with an overhead supply classed as a TN-C-S supply. Now at the main intake looks to be wired the same as a PME system.
    My question is, all boards are fitted with RCD's but when i cut a cable with the fuse for that circuit off but the main RCD on, it wont trip the RCD. IE:N to Earth
    Now! i know the RCD is working as i picked up the damp plug to the cement mixer one day & got a mild shock & the RCD tripped. (not the best way to find out)
    So is it the style of a TN-C-S supply that makes it not trip between N & earth?.
    Also, all gas & water supply's are in plastic, so no other earth's.

Thanks

Chris

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

If there is little or no load in the installation (not your circuit), then no current will flow from N to E when you short them together, so nothing will trip.

If you had no earth, it would do the same thing. Sometimes an electrician connects an earth to the service heads exposed and accessible earth terminal, when this terminal has not had the link installed, so no earth.

FatHands likes this.
  3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Morning Chris

Does the RCD trip when you press the test button? What tripping current is the RCD rated? 30mA or 100mA?

4. collectors

collectors Member

Hi, thanks for getting back, Yes, all RCD,s trip individually when each test button is pressed. There are 4 RCD's (1 split load & 2 smaller boards) & all 4 are 30mA.
    When we moved in it had a previous fire from a chimney & it looks like the head might of been updated. But! We also found an old eath rod with a old 6mm VIR cable attached that had been cut off.
    The bungalow had been rewired before we moved in due to the fire & wasn't sure if the system had been change as i notice that some TN-C-S have earth rods & some don't.
    Oh! the earth is connected/linked at the neutral bock.
    Thanks.

5. You do know tncs is pme , don't you pal?

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

You do know tncs is pme , don't you pal?

He probably doesn't know that because its not.

seneca likes this.
  7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Not necessarily!

8. I win, no need to apologise Peter.

9. stu1312

stu1312 Member

All PME supplies are tncs but not all tncs are PME

10. Lectrician

Exactly :)

seneca likes this.
  11. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Your move Mr Brown.......it all seems to have gone quiet ?...lol
    RS

seneca likes this.
  12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Must admit don't understand the above with ref to all tncs are not pme tbqh

13. Lectrician

How about a transformer feeding a single property with an underground wavecon cable? The neutral is earthed at the star point or neutral of the transformer as you would expect, but more than likely the neutral is not tied down elsewhere. It's then not PME. You may find the service head has the neutral earthed down by a bare 50/70mm hard drawn copper cable laid in the trench, so perhaps providing a single earthed down point.

BS7671 Certs refer to TN-C-S, not PME. PME is more a DNO term.

FatHands likes this.
  14. stu1312

stu1312 Member

As lectrician said a TNCS supply isn't always supplied as PME when it has multiple earth electrodes, it can be supplied as PNB but this is generally only large supplies

15. retiredsparks

JP........why should you be expected to understand ?
    Its quite techy and its not your trade ?(AFAIAA)
    From what I have seen you are a very very capable and knowledgeable guy who takes a great interest and pride in the projects that you do. Asks questions and makes decisions on the best advice available and information from other sources.
    I am happy to advise guys like you(and vias versa i hope) if i can, as i know you will be trying to get it right.
    RS

FatHands and JD 6400 like this.
  16. JD 6400

JD 6400 New Member

Hear hear , this is what an electricians forum should be about .
    It is just a shame that for far to many that go on them , it just ends up being a appendage measuring contest ! And the best of it is , they tend to be the obvious clowns .

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks guys for your replies on the PME/TNCS subject - I will delve further into it as have never given said a second thought tbqh..I can see roughly what you guys mean but roughly is not enough.

18. retiredsparks

Bye the way JP...have done most of the painting on new house(20 freaking doors, 4 coats, rubbed between etc...and finish is good...thanks for the advice and your experiences about the water based paints.
    RS