RCD tripping

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by sparkyD, Nov 18, 2014.

1. sparkyD

sparkyD New Member

Recently I purchased a BG twin RCD protected CU from screw-fix. problem I had was downstairs lights on 1 RCD was tripping when only stairs light's switch (-2way) was operated but stayed on when I switched all circuits to the other RCD -but again tripped when I put either of the lighting circs on the tripping rcd?? Any ideas how this could happen??-I again checked if id mixed upstairs n downstairs lighting neutral mistakingly?-could it be a faulty RCD??? Obviously I have done rcd trip check times they are fine

puzzled??

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Is it possible the the upstairs and downstairs share the same neutral. Had this problem when I had mine fitted. To over come it I had to run a 3 core +earth from the hallway to landing light.

To check this you could connect the upstairs and downstairs in the same MCB on the same side of the CU to check that this is the fault.

3. sparkyD

sparkyD New Member

Thanks- Iv already tried both lighting circuits in the same 6A mcb - piggy backed them its protected by the other RCD - yet that doesn't trip???