RCDs/RCBOs in series

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mr.AwesomeHandyman, Feb 8, 2016.

1. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Good grief. . I do hope some people in here do not end up as Electrical lawyers for some poor bloke in the future. .

2. Brian_L

Brian_L Active Member

Coloumb likes this.
  3. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

fire likes this.
  4. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Thank you Madhatter, that is exactly what i am saying, perfect video.
    No doubt those who are disagreeing with me are the cheap *** electricians who want to maximise profit by selling cheaper arrangements to the customer.
    I consider that ripping of the customer as customers have no idea these options exist.

If a customer wants a comprehensive proper and quality installation they should expect all circuits on RCBO's. It is how i do my installs. The price difference is only about £60-100 more if you buy a fully populated RCBO consumer unit so i don't see why anyone would not do it properly.

Again the video completely details exactly what can go wrong and cause overheating. Hence the need for a non combustible enclosure.

5. nffc

nffc Active Member

I would love to go out for a beer with that guy in the video.

;)

madhatter1uk likes this.
  6. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

I was pointing out that on those boards you can have a non rcd trip switch fitted if you so wish.
    I find it strange that jw states the proper way is to use RCBO s rather than RCD s which suggests that RCD s is an improper way. I have asked him about this and look forward to a response.

fire likes this.
  7. nffc

nffc Active Member

I do happen to agree that spilt RCD boards do not meet the regulations. The regulation states 'minimise' which according to the Oxford dictionary means 'to it's lowest possible state'. A split load RCD board is not minimising. RCBOs are.

fire likes this.
  8. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

A lot of wannabe sparks on this forum now. . .no substance in regulatory or practical knowledge whatsoever and some of it downright dangerous. .

After being on this forum for the best part of 16 years I have seen this all before. . they come and go. . .

Brian_L and Coloumb like this.
  9. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Yes of course, you can arrange a consumer unit to any configuration you wish to depending on what circuit you wish to supply.

I have to say though that in the most cases of the majority of installations there is no circuit that would NOT need RCD protection. Appart from an outbuilding which would then have an RCD in a mini consumer unit supplying sockets if fitted within that outbuilding. Some situation but the majority of times all circuits have cables trunk/conduit or buried in walls etc so they are all fed from an RCD protecting device.

I like to make sure as many circuits as can be protected are protected just because it is safer and more professional. I do not deny that some circuits will not be able to be protected by an RCD for whatever reason.
    This is why the average consumer unit comes populated with all the MCB's pre-connected to RCD's.

I don't use this split design any more personally. My opinion on the subject is the same as JW in the video. I'll leave a few spaces by buying a larger way consumer unit so that if MCB's are needed they can be added onto the busbar later. Its an extra overhead for future expansion when needed yet when you use all RCBO's you make more room off the bat not having to have 4 spaces taken up by the RCD's

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  10. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Yea because professional registered sparks don't do a proper job.

If you want the job done properly you have to do it yourself...

11. nffc

nffc Active Member

My hero!

Being on a forum for 16 years does not make you an electrician. To brag about being on a DIYers forum as a competent tradesman is not something I would be shouting about.

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I would love to be able to afford a db populated with all rcbo's - however the cost is prohibitive when using say 10/12 ways and using pukka stuff.

A high integ metal db is the only alternative - I have used one in my gaff (plastic been fitted what 4 yrs or so) and the next one will probably be a BG high integ metal.

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The OSG, which I'm sure you have a copy of, clearly shows the various configuration allowed for CU/RCD installation. One of them is a split load. So you think the IEE are now printing guidance that doesn't actually confirm to the regulations?

3.6.3.3 Examples of RCDs within installations refers. Go take a look.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Well done Mr C - what's going on with this forum just lately?

15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I don't know JP, but I think fire and nffc are the same person or know each other out of this forum. It's really up to the mods to sort this out, some of what's being posted recently has been very misleading.

16. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

For example...

It's not really any kind of advice is it. Just a sort of generalization.

Same here, no mention of WHAT type of cable needs to be used. Yesterday he was saying the opposite, that an external sub-main had to be rcd protected, swa or not. Seems to just make it up as he goes.

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I suppose they come and go Mr C - have read some of the stuff posted and all it is doing is mashing up what is simple in the first place. Anyway have a good day Mr C.

18. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Yea you too JP.

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I wont go into to the boring details on what's on the dual side - but on my high integ I used 3 x rcbo's.

1 for boiler
    1 for exterior power to shed - that will teach me a lesson for not bringing the swa up to db position - if I did I could have used henly and gone switch fuse route - but hey ho.
    1 for exterior lights

20. nffc

nffc Active Member

No I do not own a copy of the idiots guide to BS7671.