Re-Balancing Central Heating

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by mattym, Apr 29, 2016.

1. mattym

mattym New Member

Hi

I changed a couple of rads yesterday. Got over the drama of refilling the system (I have a tank in the loft & the rads are piped in 8mm microbore)

This morning I noticed that I have a random number of hot & cold rads, both upstairs & downstairs?

I had problems clearing the air out of the system yesterday, and I readjusted a few valves, as well as leaving the now rad's valves fully open.

Does this sound like a case of re-balencing the system. If so, how do I do that?

I'd appreciate a steer in the right direction.

Cheers
    MM

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Have a search for balancing rads, this has been covered comprehensively in the past.

3. Matt, are the new rads the hot ones? If so, then I guess they might need tweaking down, certainly if the valves were left fully open after fitting.

Was the system balanced before you replaced these rads - and did you adjust the lockshield valves on any of the other rads?

I ask 'cos balancing a system is painstaking and time-consuming and ideally requires a couple of pipe thermometers.

Whereas there's a fair chance that all you have is a bit of wind. Trapped air.

Possibly.

Are you sure each rad is fully bled? And each pipe?

What you could try is to shut off all rad vales (the 'control' ones, not the lockshields) and then open each one on its own for a few minutes. Check that it comes on HOT and that it has no trapped air.

(Always stop the boiler/pump before bleeding)

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Orrible stuff 8mm microbore:mad:, sounds like there still air in system, try DA tip.:)