Re installing a towel rail

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jamesgrayston, Jan 10, 2016.

1. jamesgrayston

jamesgrayston New Member

I am re installing a towel rail and it just doesn't seem to be heating up!

I have bled it until there was water spitting out of it and so I presume that it is full of water.

It seemed to get warmish and then it lost heat again- possibly as I was bleeding the rail.

There are two lockshield valves fitted and I wonder if they could be the problem?

I have posted photos of them below

[​IMG] and [​IMG]

Should I swap the valves over? Have I re installed them on the wrong ends/ sides of the rail?

Do I need to adjust them?

The towel rail is in the upstairs bathroom, all the other radiators upstairs are on and working well.

Prior to re installing it the copper pipes have had stop ends on them and so I know that copper pipe below the valve in the second picture has been hot before but it isn't now.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

2. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

I can't see the picture, but my guess is that the radiator that was there before was piped off the hot water cylinder. So you have to sort the pipework out before you can get heat in there.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Do you have a combi boiler installed? Prob stating the obvious, but have you re-pressurised after bleeding?

4. palavaman

You can bleed it all you can, but untill you sort that pipework out, you will have no heat at that TR. My guess is the ''Engineer'' fttt, who converted the system to Combi had no idea how to plumb the bathroom radiator, so when he was called back to sort it he tried his best then a decision was made to just cap off the pipework.

5. jamesgrayston

jamesgrayston New Member

Sorry, here are the photos of the valves...[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

6. jamesgrayston

jamesgrayston New Member

I have a system boiler installed and yes the system has been re pressurised.

7. jamesgrayston

jamesgrayston New Member

I don't think that the rail was piped off the hot water cylinder.

8. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Turn off all working rads and see if it gets warm.

CGN likes this.
  9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Could be an air lock. Is there a header tank?

10. jamesgrayston

jamesgrayston New Member

There isn't a header tank. I will look at it later and follow the advice and then get back to you!

11. jamesgrayston

jamesgrayston New Member

OK. I turned off all the rads, turned on the heating, checked the pressure in the system and opened the valve in the first photo using a large hex key. Black water started to drip out of the valve immediately. I closed it up until it stopped. With the heating on even the copper pipes below the valves are not getting warm.

The rail was taken off some weeks ago so that the bathroom could be redecorated. Nothing major has been modified relating to the pipework going to the rail, apart from the fact that I re-installed the valves.

I also bled the valve which sits on the top of the rail (on the same side as the valve in the second photo) and black water started to drip out of that immediately.

I hope that this helps. Thanks.

12. palavaman

Was the rad working before the renovation? If it was, then may be you have to replace the valves you have there with simple basic TR valves from SF. There is no logical explaination (if the valves were working b4) as to why the TR won't heat up if all other rads are turned off, except may be in the course of the renovation, one of the pipe got 'blocked' with debris? Highly unlikely but may be possible.

jamesgrayston likes this.
  13. palavaman

looking at the valves, it's posible that 1 of them may not be open, so no flow going through

jamesgrayston likes this.
  14. jamesgrayston

jamesgrayston New Member

Thanks everyone for your input. The rail is now working perfectly. The reason it wasn't is that the valve in the second photo was not open. I had no idea how to open it until I looked at the cap that I had taken off it. It is amazing how simple stuff seems when you know what you are doing!

CGN likes this.
  15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Glad you got it working Jamie.

16. palavaman

Well, I told you one of the valves was closed :) Well done for sorting it and letting us know.

17. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

smileys-beating-and-fighting-820903.gif