Re-painting exterior timber cladding

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by tritwiggy, Feb 8, 2015.

1. tritwiggy

tritwiggy New Member

My friend has a large house that is part timber clad (ship-lap) and currently painted black. They want the cladding painted grey. I'm happy with surface prep, but I think it would be the easiest option to spray the cladding with a fence/decking sprayer possibly using something similar to Cuprinol or Protek. I have heard people talk about using masonary paint on timber cladding, sounds good, especially price wise. What are peoples thoughts on this and the wider question on re-painting timber?

Cheers

2. Spraying is always going to be a hard messy job with overspray everywhere id just sand it down as much as is necessary prime it if you deem necessary (ie had to sand back to bare wood) and then over coat, i have never heard of using masonry paint on anything other than masonry so i would use an appropriate exterior wood paint in the colour your customer wants

3. Trit, any idea what type of paint is currently used on it - the black paint?

Anyways, masonry paint on wud? Are you crazy man? What sort of fool are you?

Er, it really works well. I know 'cos I've tried it. I have lots of woodwork outside - open porch, fencing, trellis, etc etc and all finished in smooth matt black masonry paint. It's awesome. Doesn't peel. Goes on beautifully and gives a great finish.

And the new fascia boards I fitted some 8 years ago - smooth timber - is also looking good and hasn't needed redoing yet - and it's south-facing.

I've also painted a shiplap shed at my local school using masonry paint as a last resort when all other finishes - including 'shed' paints - failed to adhere to whatever the last finish was. Made up my own grey by adding a good dollop of black into a pot of white.

Again, a terrific finish, dead easy to apply, just doesn't peel - it really works a treat.

I was chewing the cud with a neighb a few months back, comparing the jobs we had to do on our houses and outbuildings. He pointed to his very smart looking shed which was a strange pale lilac colour. 'Guess what paint I used?', he asked. Yup - masonry - on the advice of a pro painted friend - who gave him lots of left-over paint he mixed to get this colour...

I then 'fessed that all the black timber on my own house was also this masonry.

Oh, and also a rich dark green I made up by adding black to a standard 'forest' green - this is used on my wooden gates. Looks great - even tho' I say so masel'.

So there you have it. I can't possibly say "Go ahead - you'll be fine", but I'm pretty sure you will.

And make up your own shade of grey (snigger) by mixing black and white.

4. Fair enough i stand corrected give it a punt also forgot to mention the best thing i find to paint shiplap is one of those four inch rollers just the right size :)

5. ... and use a 4" brush :p

(Only teasing, Windsor - I wouldn't possibly suggest a pro uses this type of paint, and I suggest it to Trit only if he's happy to go for this. Perhaps a test area should be done first. But - genuinely - I would personally use it without hesitation now, as it's absolutely proven itself for me.)

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Remember Karate Kid..

up, down,

side, side..:)

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

8. tritwiggy

tritwiggy New Member

Many thanks gents.

To my eye the cladding is currently coated with a black paint, definitely not stain as the coat is on the surface...you know what I mean.

Fair enough on the sprayer, to be fair a fart of a wind and no paint actually goes on the wood with those things so it would have been hardwork.

Will paint up a small test section I think and leave it a while as the job doesn't need doing for a couple of weeks yet.

Any recommendations on brand of masonry paint Devil's Ad?

I will be karate kid after doing this house.

9. On the brand ive always used Dulux trade weathershield as it is touch dry in about 30 minutes and ive never had any problems with it on masonry but i cant speak for it on wood sadly

10. For my black paint I've tended to use Wicke's since they have it in stock and it's easy for me to get to.

But, go for the best you can afford. I have used others in the past - including Homebase's own brand - and found them all equally effective (including the Homebase one which was actually rather nice...)

11. ajf4444

ajf4444 New Member

Hi Devils Advocate
    I'm really interested in this post as I've just posted a question about exterior woodcare. Do you think this would give a good finish on fascias & soffits? Previously painted with Johnstones Opaque but lost sheen within months particularly on south facing area, my guy suggested Woodstain now but according to Johnstones, they would not recommend this. I want a bit of a gloss finish. Any ideas welcomed!

12. Not masonry - 'cos it's matt. :)

13. Boolay

Boolay Member

Bedec barn paint is very good, just used it on some massive wooden gates. Matt or soft gloss finish. If some bits are down to bare wood just prime with a 40% diluted mix of water. It's not the cheapest though

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Tis cheaper than Sadolin Superdec though,

15. Boolay

Boolay Member

I'll have to try Devils idea, sounds good