Re-plastered blown wall - Patches not drying and show condensation...

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by T100, Dec 9, 2016.

1. T100

T100 Member

Hi there,

Any plasterers in the house?

I've had a problematic wall in the bedroom. It's a ground floor room and the wall in question is an "outside" wall.

The wall was blown (sounding hollow in places when tapping it) so I got in a plasterer to chip the blown patches back to the brickwork and re-plaster it. This was done on Monday (he finished about 3pm) It's now Friday morning 8am.

It sounds good when I tap it, it no longer sounds hollow; however, the previously blown patches aren't drying. They haven't gone to a matt shade of pink and are still chocolate brown.

These patches also have a little condensation on the surface.

As a result I have a couple of questions:
    • Is this normal? If so, how long will it take to dry out?
    • What's the best way to dry out a re-plastered wall?
    • When is it okay to apply a mist coat (white matt emulsion paint mixed with water)?
    • When is it safe for me to paint (Farrow & Ball Estate Emulsion - Skmming Stone)
    Many thanks!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's winter not summer, so won't dry so quick, don't forget the thickness of plaster is around 12mm or so, a little bit of warmth will help, will take probably a couple of weeks to throughly dry.

Being a outside wall, you got no problems with damp,etc.

3. T100

T100 Member

Thanks mate. I'm probably being paranoid but that wall has given us so many problems that having decided to get it stripped back to the brickwork, I was hoping it would be the saviour to our problems.

Anyway, thanks again.

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

As its a bedroom which presumably you are sleeping in (?) your breathing during the night will add to the moisture and condensation. I'd say crank up the heating and open the window to allow ventilation - you want it warmer and less humid.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Forgot the ventilation.:eek:

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Number of times I have seen that happen where people open windows on damp cold days to help things dry out.

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes:rolleyes:,should have been clearer.:oops:

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If it was chipped back to the brick then he would have applied an undercoat plaster first, before skimming. If it was just skimming then probably be dry in 2/3 days, but every wall slightly different depending on conditions. Nothing to worry about at the mo, but as others have said, def need some heat in the room :)

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

PVA or Stixall........................enough said

10. T100

T100 Member

Thanks chaps. Appreciate all your input!