Re-plastering a brick wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jitesh Pishavadia, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Jitesh Pishavadia

Jitesh Pishavadia New Member

Ok,

I have an internal wall (Kitchen & Living room) which had damp in, i have to knock off the plaster and render to the brick to insert a damp proof course in. Only knocked 3 foot of the wall off (from floor).

Now this has been done i need to get it back to normal. Whats the best way of doing this as I want to plaster finish it again like the rest of the wall so we can paint & wallpaper again.

Have attached a picture to show what it currently looks like, hope this helps :)

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Jitesh, when you say 'internal' wall, do you mean the inside of an external wall or an actual wall that is fully inside the house?

Ok, I'm not a plasterer or nuffink, but if you have had damp issues on that wall then I believe you'd be better off rendering it with a cement mortar with water-proofer added, before skimming over with a 2-3mm plaster layer to bring it flush with the rest of the wall above.

Where has the DPC been done, and what type - injected liquid? If so, then I guess it's been done right along that bottom corner? That's a solid floor?

Alternatively, if that is an external wall, I'd be hugely inclined to over-board it all with Thermal Board - plasterboard with a layer of insulation bonded to it. First I would coat that lower exposed section with good quality tanking, and then either render it as before or else possibly you'd get away with layering Polystyrene insulation on it to bring it out to the rough level of the wall above - and then board over.

Thermal board can be basically fitted using adhesive, but with the odd plug and screw to keep it secure. It'll transform the insulation value of that wall.

IF it's an external wall.

Otherwise, just bond using a cement render with w'proofer and skim over. I think I'd leave a 1-2" gap along the bottom so's as not to bridge where the DPC is placed - skirting board will cover it.

Take all of the above with the necessary pinch of stuff... :rolleyes:

3. 2 bags of 'bonding coat' apply with trowel, use a darby or fetheredge to keep it straight, PVA (3.1) the entire wall then plaster with multifinish plaster, might be worth giving the bonded area two coats of PVA , once applied leave for ten mins, then flatten it all off, leave it 20 mins or until going hard then give final trowel.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
    FatHands likes this.