Re-programming a Vauxhall remote key fob.

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by devil's advocate, Feb 8, 2007.

1. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Anyone know if this can be done to a key from a different Vauxhall - same year, type etc?

I know that if you take more than 3 minutes to change the battery in your remote keyfob, it needs to be 'synchronised' with the car again. Easy job - just stick it in the ignition and press the butts.

Is 're-programming' a keyfob from a different car basically the same procedure, or does the car dealer have to get involved? If a dealer is needed, do they program the key to suit the car, or the car to suit the key (which would then make my other 'good' key redundant, so back to square one )?

I ask 'cos one of my fobs is getting a bit unreliable (with a new battery, before you ask ) and I can pick up 2nd-hand fobs quite cheaply (new ones cost one arm and one... you get the idea).

Thanks.

2. lucozade

lucozade New Member

You have to take the fob to a dealer to have it programmed to the car as it needs to be programmed using diagnostic equipment. Your old key should be ok as some car can have three keys programmed.

3. devil's advocate

Cheers, lucozade, that's really useful info.

Many thanks :)

4. Bigwizzard

Bigwizzard New Member

You should be able to take out the small micro from the old unreliable key and put it into the new key. It's either clipped in place or more recently they glue them but you can still prise them free.

5. devil's advocate

Cheers, Bigwizzard, but it's the PCB inside that's dodgy... Hence wanting a new one :)

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I've had trouble with my remote Vauxhall key in the past, this is what you do.

Take the key apart as if you are going to fit a new battery, fold up a piece of paper so that it fits on top of the battery and then re assemble the key. By doing this you stop the battery loosing contact with the electronic bits inside the key.

This works and is a common problem with these keys. You may have to re-activate the key after by putting key into ignition, turn key on but dont start engine and re-set by pushing the door lock position on key.

7. devil's advocate

Now, that rings a bell, Astramax.

The first key did become very unreliable and when I opened it up found that the battery holder had broken away from the PCB in one corner (have to admit, me and the missus do habitually throw the keys at, er, I mean to each other...).

I just about managed to solder the connection back (very small :() and now use the spare key which, you've guessed it, has also started to become unreliable. When I replaced the battery in this one, I stuck a piece of foam draught excluder on the inside of the case to try and stop the weight of the battery from repeating the problem - I'd better check if it's failed :(

Cheers.