Re-wire

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Coloumb, May 22, 2015.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Total re-wire on a 3 bed Wimpy home as an investment re-furb. Done 4 days 10 hours a day, taken some time off from my regular line of work. Have to say WHAT A FIGHT! Chases had to be done with an angle grinder, got through three 12 inch stone cutting disks and it looked like a snow storm when the job was done. Forget using a cold chisel, only an SDS would shift the brick work. Got the ground floor done (8 radials, all dropped in from above as concrete floor), finish the ring final on the 1st tomorrow. Not even looked at the lighting or smokes yet. My hands are so stiff and my back is fooked! Call me a soft southerner but I am KNACKED!

Also dunched my arm drilling the joists out.

Attached Files:

• arm.jpg
      arm.jpg
      File size:
      481.2 KB
      Views:
  2. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Wimped No Sharps home?

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The council would have used surface trunking. I am not sure the approach taken is the correct one. Chasing no fines concrete walls is, as you have found, unreasonably hard work and inefficient use of time.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hard work, but it's a neater job, than having surface trunking everywhere.:)

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I don't think it's no-fines, there are brick walls behind the plaster, or it's some kind of concrete type plaster. It will look pretty tidy when it's done though.

6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Would suggest its render not plaster! . Why stone discs, diamond discs the way to go.

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Bricks or blocks? Probably normal skim plaster on top of a sand/cement scratch coat, usually on block work, as opposed to bricks. The sand/cement scratch coats can be very hard sometimes.

I would always be looking to use a diamond disc rather than black stone disks.

What age is the house? What prompted the rewire?

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Well I had three stone disks about so I thought I would use them up. House is 1970's vintage, all the wiring was orginal, most of it was imperial size cable and there was loads wrong, ring was caput and half the house running off a 15 amp rewirable. Plan is to rent it out when I'm done with it. The render/plaster stuff was horrid, the worst I've ever had to work on.

9. Lectrician

Back then scratch coat render and skim was the norm, usually blocks, but could be bricks. Sturdy!

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmmmm sounds like the property is built properly. Chase reinstatement indicates dprm trowelled just below surrounding surface, and then when set joint filler to bring flush. When the filler is dry, kiss it with 60/120 and then paint to suit.

11. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I'll prolly use a bit of Multifinish :(

12. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

sounds like a hard old session Col. Plenty of beer to cook down in the evening?!

on a related note, anyone use the purpose built wall chasers

13. Lectrician

Wall chasers are good, but you need to go for one with good power/torque to prevent it jamming, and allow you to "pull harder".

With a proper vacume, they're not too bad for dust, you could use it on site with other trades, but not in a furnished property. Without a vacume, fine for the odd chase, but not a house full.

FatHands likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just use a channelling chisel on the sds breaker.

15. FatHands

you got one Lec?

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not one with a name on it, vacuum.

17. FatHands

you been on drinking tonight chippie? ;)

18. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

If its rendered its usually only done to a metre high, usually for damp purposes, after that its normal browning or similar. I have always used an SDS bolster chisel when I have encountered render before, tough going but you get there in the end. Not keen on angle grinders and the like, its bad enough when the roofer is using a stihl saw, and that's outside.