Rebate in oak flooring headache.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Madmattmcmad, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Madmattmcmad

Madmattmcmad New Member

Hi.

I've just finished laying a nice solid oak floor for a customer. Brilliant. I've now got to fit 4 sliding doors across the front room as the back half is an office. There's 2 brick pillars sticking out 6" or so half way down the room and a boxed in steel above, like an archway across the room if you will. The sliding doors are fitting here. What I need to do is cut a 15mm rebate/groove/rabbet so I can drop in the track for the doors to run in, the customer is disabled and there can't be any lips or steps anywhere. The question/problem: how to run my router against a straight edge? It's 3m across, i can't exactly screw a straight edge into the brand new oak flooring..anyone got any ideas how I'm going to do this? I'm a bit stumped..

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

If you know someone with a Festool plunge saw and guide rail, they might do it for you. ;);)

3. Madmattmcmad

Madmattmcmad New Member

Not a bad shout at all, dunno why I didn't think of that.. It's been a long day :)

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

friction fit a temp lenght of timber across the opening? or same peice held in position with floor to ceiling props? only thing i can think of.

5. Madmattmcmad

Madmattmcmad New Member

Track saw wins I reckon. Spoke to my mate, sorted one for the morning! Thanks joinerjim for the idea, same to you Nigel for the reply.

Happy days :)

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Festool the easiest or use double sided tape.

7. Madmattmcmad

Madmattmcmad New Member

Double sided tape would be a bugger to get up, I had masking tape down on the oak to hold it together while the glue set, 'twas a right sod to get off, took me ages...!

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I never said it would be easy ;););) but not all double sided tapes are the same.

9. Madmattmcmad

Madmattmcmad New Member

My mates got a makita plunge saw, I always said I didn't really need one. I guess now I do... Early birthday present for me then :) :) :)

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Once you have used a track saw you buy one.

Sunto64 likes this.
  11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

How far to the end of the room? Maybe a straight-edge timber and 3 lengths against the end of the room keeping the straight-edge to length/position.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

He's using a track saw Andy.

13. Madmattmcmad

Madmattmcmad New Member

The track saw is the way forward. The room is pretty big, over 8m long. I'd begrudge buying extra timbers toon its for 2 grooves.

Yes, I am tight.. Aren't we all :)

14. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

the word is "careful"

15. big all

big all Screwfix Select

if you are taking 15mm out off the floor how are you fixing the track in place with 3-6mm
    also wont you get movement between the sections vertically as there is virtually no support
    thats assuming its structural
    if its floating good luck with the expansion

16. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

Tri or Bifold doors could be the answer.