Recessed hinge measurements

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by do224, Aug 16, 2015.

1. do224

do224 Member

Fitting an integrated fridge freezer and no pre drilled holes for the door hinges. Does anyone know the correct measurements for locating the drilling point for the 35mm hinge recess. I know you can get a jig but I'm doing it today so won't be able to get one in time.

I've researched online and seen conflicting advice. Some say 75mm down from top of door and 21mm inwards. Others say 85mm down and 22.5mm inwards etc.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Many thanks, David

2. Hi David.

Not sure if these are standard enough to allow us to give you measurements, but I think what I would do in your place (and I've been there a few times...) is to - for hinge 'height' - take the measurements from the unit carcase.

For hinge hole inset from the door edge, take a measurement from another base unit door. (Ok, that measurement should, I think, be pretty standard, but I'd personally like to confirm it myself before drilling this large and vital hole...)

This way you should get it right.

For instance, if you remove a hinge from an existing door, measure from the door edge to the near side of the hole and then to the far side, then find t'middle...

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

DA's way probably the best ,just looked at my Blum cat,measurements from edge of door seem to vary from 3-6mm.

4. snezza30

snezza30 Member

The majority are 5mm in from the edge of the door, therefore the center of the 35mm dia hole wants to be 22.5mm from the door edge.

If you only have a few 35mm holes to drill, you can just drill them freehand with the appropriate cutter in a battery drill. Make sure you check how deep you need to drill, and don't drill too deep!!!!

One tip I can offer is to make a dimple in the center of the marks, as this will prevent the 35mm cutter from wandering as you start the boring.

Try to ensure you keep the drill vertical, and make sure the doors are well supported on a flat bench.

Snezza.