Recirculation Extractor been fitted without top vent??

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Derek.K, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Derek.K

Derek.K New Member

Hi guys,

I've been asked to rectify a poor installation on a cooker hood (non-extracting) as it "doesn't work", only to find that the top-section of the chimney which is supposed to have the exit vents, has been left off due to a slightly low ceiling.

I'm trying to think of the best thing to do, because there's also a splashback panel limiting it coming any lower, as well as the fact that the wall is quite a mess behind it so don't really want to reposition anyway..

Do you think drilling new vents would suffice? It's just an empty box section anyway..?

(might sound like an obvious answer but I don't deal too much with kitchens these days and sort of missed the whole extractor frenzy)

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Would seem that drilling is a solution. Stainless is a bit of a pain to drill, so good bits are needed. Take ya time though as you don't want to burn the stainless as it can be difficult to get the scorch marks off after. Good chunk of wood behind to stop it denting :)

Also, there is usually a special duct to direct the air to the sides when used in 're-circulation' mode which attaches to the fan spigot. Do you have this duct? Sort of a tee shape or like 2 lower case 'r's' back to back.