Recommendations for site tablet?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by 14th edition, Oct 22, 2016.

1. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

I am with elecsa and they have an on line facility [at a cost] for filling in various certs...I would like to start using this and stop faffing around with paper ones. Any suggestions for type and cost? I use an iPad at home but it has no 3g capability and am on O2.

2. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I have a Lenovo tablet myself, and I brought a solid case for it to withstand knocks and drops. The tablet wasnt brought for the intention of using at work, and only has WiFi - I purchased a WIFI 4G dongle and a sim only plan with 5 gb of data a month. I use mine for showing customers examples of work, making notes, calculations and ordering. I find it very handy to have and I pay about £10 a month.
    This is only an example of myself, but consider what you want to spend, the 4G dongles have rechargeable batteries and can be left in a toolbox or pocket running all day. It is a much more cost effective method!

3. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

You should be able to use your phone to create a Wi-Fi hot spot and connect your iPad. Not all data contracts allow this (usually called tethering) but if yours does give it a try at home.

I use an iPad and subscribe to BT so get Wi-Fi hotspots as part of my deal. I can also use my iPhone as a Wi-Fi hotspot but I prefer to use one of these with a GiffGaff sim for a data only package. (£10 a month for 1GB of UK data)
    upload_2016-10-22_16-20-46.png

Just search for Netgear AirCard in Google.

If you rely on a connection to the web then have a few alternative routes is always a good idea.

Joe95 likes this.
  4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Stick to the handwritten ones 14th, far more straightforward and trouble free!