Refurb - paint and roller recommendations

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Whitling2k, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Hey all!

Just wondering if some can give me any recommendations on paints and rollers?

Whilst I'm using water based acrylic for my skirting and architraves, I want a more durable solvent-based gloss for my stairs and balustrades.... I hate the "non drip" butter-like pastes the usual sheds stock and wondered if anyone had any tips for paints to look out for? Ideally something thin enough to get a nice finish, but not requiring more than 2-3 coats - and white as white can be...

Secondly - Any good 4" foam for gloss and acrylic and short-pile for emulsion rollers you might suggest? I've had far too many cheap cr@p 4" rollers - and want to buy a decent set!!

Cheers

Whitling2k

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Found Crown One Coat to be very good.

3. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

OK yeah - I only use Crown emulsions now! I'll see what the local crown decorating center suggest.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If you prefer Crown products check out Crown 'Solo' it is a superb white once fully cured also a mirror like finish can be achieved with two coats rather than one. I more often thesedays use 4" mohair rollers for all gloss paints laid of with a brush, my paintbrushes are 'Purdy Monarch' for acrylic and 'Purdy Pro Xtra' for oil paints. Larger 9" rollers are also Purdy.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Yes thats what I meant SOLO. excellent stuff.:):);)

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

OK Thanks Peeps! I have a discount card for Crown anyway - 25% off all instore purchases... which are about 15% dearer than the web, so it's 10% off really... plus the banter :)